Chicks flew the brooder

thatgirl1225

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
AKA I put my chickens outside today. This is the first time I've had chickens, but they were definitely getting too big for their brooder, and they all have their feathers. It was a nice warm day today (for the area - mid to high 60s), but the nights still get pretty chilly. Moving them back in for the night isn't an option, so they are out in the backyard for good now. But, as any mama might, I just need some reassurance that they are going to make it through the night and I'll wake up to 4 chickens looking for some chow.

TG

They are 5 or 6 weeks old now, and it gets into the low 40s I think. But it's also pretty windy here (up in the mountains of Northern Arizona).

Also, how long does it take for them to acclimate to being outdoors, especially in colder weather. It looks likes we have a cold front moving through mid next week, and it'll get below freezing for a few nights before warming back up (to 70s highs and 40s lows)? Will I need to do something special to keep them ok during those colder nights?

are they in a coop, or just let loose?

If they are in a coop or shelter you could put a brooder light in there, or cut a hole in the side of your brooder so they can go in and out when they want. Then if they feel too cold they can just huddle under the heat lamp in the coop.

The brooder is inside, but they have a coop/run outside, however they weren't quite getting the concept of the coop. I finally decided to set the brooder back up and bring them in for the night. I'll just have to bring them out for the day and in for the night, until it gets warmer. Not thrilled about having them back inside (they were starting to get messy/really dusty) but I can't let the ladies freeze!

Have they started really feathering out yet? If they have shelter, and some deep bedding, they may be ok, they'll definately huddle at night. But they are still really fuzzy and don't have those big feathers growing out all over their bodies, it's not ok to leave them outside. Mine were about 6 weeks old when I put them outside (for the same reasons you did), I added extra bedding, and made sure to seal up any spots that the air could sneak in, except for the entryway which is always opened. They did alright the first night. Definiately had cold toes, they would stand with one foot up next to their bodies, and switch. At night they bedded down and cuddled. I fed them a warm crumbles with buttermilk in the morning as a treat. By the 3rd day they were doing well, and the cold really forced them to learn about coop time much faster than my previous flock.

Back
Top Bottom