Chicks freaking out every time I come near - help!

shvartsanna

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
Hello,
We're new chick owners of 6 Lavender Orpingtons.
We've had the chicks a little over a week, so they're probably between 13 - 17 days old. Every time my husband or I come near and especially when we reach in to change the feeder or water, they start chirping like crazy and hurling themselves into a corner, and often trampling each other in the process. I tried picking them up in order to show them that I only mean well and petting them, but it seems to terrify them, and they raise such a ruckus - that the stress for all of us isn't worth it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just trying to pick them up too early? I'm desperate to show them affection and bond with them in a calm, affectionate way, but instead, anything I do seems to make them more stressed. Are there any recommended approaches to bond with chicks? I'd hate to have this relationship continue into their adulthood.

Is the brooder on the floor? You are Big Scary Beings. Especially if you reach down from above to pick up the chicks. They instinctively know that danger comes down from above. Eons of being preyed on by hawks and eagles has etched that into their DNA.

Can you put the brooder up on a table?

Make a mash out of their food wetted with a little water. Put some in the palm of your hand. Reach in slowly, rest your hand on the floor of the brooder. Wait. It might take a while. Eventually, one will be brave enough to try the food. Let them learn that there is delicious food to be had. Do not try to pick them up, just let them eat.

Is the brooder on the floor? You are Big Scary Beings. Especially if you reach down from above to pick up the chicks. They instinctively know that danger comes down from above. Eons of being preyed on by hawks and eagles has etched that into their DNA.

Can you put the brooder up on a table?

Make a mash out of their food wetted with a little water. Put some in the palm of your hand. Reach in slowly, rest your hand on the floor of the brooder. Wait. It might take a while. Eventually, one will be brave enough to try the food. Let them learn that there is delicious food to be had. Do not try to pick them up, just let them eat.
Yes their box is on the floor. That's a good call to raise it up and try to just give them treats first. Thank you for the tips!

Valium works. I wonder if they sell Chicken Quaaludes?
Make noise as you approach them, I dont mean scary banging on stuff, but talk to them, hum a song, something that may be sensed as soothing, or at least they know you are coming. Maybe you startle them, just all of the sudden without warning, this claw... is reaching down for them. When I first got my cockatoo, he'd startle at times when I opened his closet, would fall off the perch a time or two .. that was early on,now he knows me and I can't startle him to save my soul anymore :D They need to get used to you.

Aaorn

Valium works. I wonder if they sell Chicken Quaaludes?
Make noise as you approach them, I dont mean scary banging on stuff, but talk to them, hum a song, something that may be sensed as soothing, or at least they know you are coming. Maybe you startle them, just all of the sudden without warning, this claw... is reaching down for them. When I first got my cockatoo, he'd startle at times when I opened his closet, would fall off the perch a time or two .. that was early on,now he knows me and I can't startle him to save my soul anymore :D They need to get used to you.

Aaorn
Good call. Their box and area around it is pretty dark too, so they probably see me as this dark shadow coming from above. I'm short and very non-threatening in real life, so it just didn't occur to me how I appear to them.

Hello,
We're new chick owners of 6 Lavender Orpingtons.
We've had the chicks a little over a week, so they're probably between 13 - 17 days old. Every time my husband or I come near and especially when we reach in to change the feeder or water, they start chirping like crazy and hurling themselves into a corner, and often trampling each other in the process. I tried picking them up in order to show them that I only mean well and petting them, but it seems to terrify them, and they raise such a ruckus - that the stress for all of us isn't worth it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just trying to pick them up too early? I'm desperate to show them affection and bond with them in a calm, affectionate way, but instead, anything I do seems to make them more stressed. Are there any recommended approaches to bond with chicks? I'd hate to have this relationship continue into their adulthood.
Hi there -

They are behaving like normal, untamed animals. You aren't doing anything wrong & definitely not picking them up too early. The earlier the better.

My suggestion would to be holding them & talking to them softly every day, for maybe 5 minutes each. That is what I have always done with mine. After a few days they don't freak out so much. Every chicken I have ever had has ended up learning their name & they will even come when called, not the whole flock, but the actual one I'm calling.

Also as they are taming down, I'd leave the room with the others.

Now, I know with them all being the same breed, naming them is probably not going to work, but I'm just letting you know how incredibly tame my birds have all become over the years.

Also, I know "treats" aren't the best thing to give developing chicks, but I have always given my chicks a small amount of vegetables each morning, which extends to a bit more as they grow, "breakfast".

Once they realize you won't hurt them & you are the provider of yummy things to eat, they will come around, may take a couple weeks, but you can do it!!!

Hi there -

They are behaving like normal, untamed animals. You aren't doing anything wrong & definitely not picking them up too early. The earlier the better.

My suggestion would to be holding them & talking to them softly every day, for maybe 5 minutes each. That is what I have always done with mine. After a few days they don't freak out so much. Every chicken I have ever had has ended up learning their name & they will even come when called, not the whole flock, but the actual one I'm calling.

Also as they are taming down, I'd leave the room with the others.

Now, I know with them all being the same breed, naming them is probably not going to work, but I'm just letting you know how incredibly tame my birds have all become over the years.

Also, I know "treats" aren't the best thing to give developing chicks, but I have always given my chicks a small amount of vegetables each morning, which extends to a bit more as they grow, "breakfast".

Once they realize you won't hurt them & you are the provider of yummy things to eat, they will come around, may take a couple weeks, but you can do it!!!
.....& yes, talk to them, kinda like talking to a baby.

I'm having a similar problem with my silkie babies (4 weeks old now), I had a breakthough yesterday with oats in my hand, laid flat at floor level. I have two confident other breeds with them which of course came straight up pecking away. Slowly but surely the silkies copied, came along and even sat on my hand a bit. With my other hand i moved it slowly near them, stroking their fronts. It doesn't sound like much but seeing as every other time i go near them they start screaming and running it was a good moment. I'm hoping doing this regularly will get them to associate me with good things. They will love me whether they like it or not, I need those fluffy cuddles 🤣 🤣. Chickens can totally be bribed with tasty things. I chopped the oats a little to make doubly sure they weren't too big. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom