Chicks from this week's hatch

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I had my first successful hatch of the 2018 season this week. Prior to now, I've been having trouble keeping my incubator humidity low enough for starting eggs. I decided to use that incubator as my hatcher and I bought a new Brinsea Ovation 28 EX for my starter incubator. I LOVE that Brinsea! I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra $100 to get the 56 egg model instead, but I have what I have. I barely touch it. I just make sure the water reservoir is full, add new eggs on Wednesday, and move eggs to the lockdown incubator on Sunday. So simple.

I had two different hatches this week, one due Monday and one on Wednesday.

The Monday hatch was 6 Bantam Cochin/Chocolate Orpington eggs I received as a bonus when I bought 3 Chocolate Orpington hens (Thanks @WVduckchick!). There were originally 12 eggs, but I started them in the cheap incubator and they were there a week before I moved them to the Brinsea. I lost 6 of the before lockdown. I started them at that point because some of the eggs were already more than a week old.

The Wednesday hatch was 11 more Bantam Cochin/Chocolate Orpington eggs, 10 from a newer dozen from the previous owner and 1 they laid after they arrived. I lost 2 of the dozen and 3 they laid after arriving here before lockdown. MUCH better numbers. I also had 4 eggs from my LF Dark Cornish trio in this hatch.

So a total of 21 eggs made it to lockdown.

On Monday, nothing happened. I started losing hope for 6 of the eggs.

On Tuesday, I noticed that two of the eggs that were due to hatch Monday had pipped. By bedtime Tuesday, I had 2 babies and several more pipped eggs.

By time I woke on Wednesday, another baby had hatched and a 4th was not far behind. By the end of the day, 17 of the 21 eggs had hatched! 3 of the Monday hatch eggs and all but one Cornish egg from the Wednesday hatch. Unfortunately, around 24 hours after it hatched, the first chick to hatch died in my hand. So I have 16 chicks!

Three of the chicks are Cornish. Two of them are beautiful and fluffy.
IMG_7152.JPG

And this is poor Boot. He needed a lot of help. His toes on his left foot weren't so great so he got a boot. He lost his boot overnight and is much better now.
IMG_7143.JPG
IMG_7155.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG

This is the second chick that hatched. It really loves interacting with people. The adorable little booger wouldn't hold still for pictures so I had to hold it.
IMG_7170.JPG

This is the sort of pictures I got when I wasn't holding it.
IMG_7165.JPG

Three of the chicks are almost completely yellow/white.
IMG_7157.JPG

Three of the chicks are a very light grey.
IMG_7248.JPG

One chick is a darker grey.
IMG_7221.JPG

These two chicks are almost black, but have a lot of white in their faces.
IMG_7210.JPG
During pictures, the second chick started pecking at the other's foot fuzz.
IMG_7204.JPG

Then there are two almost black chicks.
IMG_7190.JPG

And I think we ended up with one purebred Bantam Cochin in the bunch. It is the only one with a completely feathered toe AND a light beak. Plus, the head shape looks more like my LF cochins did when they were little where as the other ones have a more "orpington" looking heads.

I'm amazed at how friendly these chicks all are. All the other chicks I've hatched stopped wanting to have anything to do with humans if they had other chicks to hang out with. The BC/CO chicks all come running to the side when I walk by and like to investigate and climb on my hand when I put it in. So CUTE!

Attachments

• IMG_7277.JPG
    IMG_7277.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 6
Very pretty babies!! :love

The Cornish are lovely! I guess I always expect white, love the coloring of yours. :D

I'm now debating myself whether to get a GQF cabinet or the Ovation. Because of your comments, I would also splurge for the 56. They are expensive, but so much easier to not have to worry. I guess it's all trade off.

Hope the chocolate hens are doing well! :)

I had my first successful hatch of the 2018 season this week. Prior to now, I've been having trouble keeping my incubator humidity low enough for starting eggs. I decided to use that incubator as my hatcher and I bought a new Brinsea Ovation 28 EX for my starter incubator. I LOVE that Brinsea! I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra $100 to get the 56 egg model instead, but I have what I have. I barely touch it. I just make sure the water reservoir is full, add new eggs on Wednesday, and move eggs to the lockdown incubator on Sunday. So simple.

I had two different hatches this week, one due Monday and one on Wednesday.

The Monday hatch was 6 Bantam Cochin/Chocolate Orpington eggs I received as a bonus when I bought 3 Chocolate Orpington hens (Thanks @WVduckchick!). There were originally 12 eggs, but I started them in the cheap incubator and they were there a week before I moved them to the Brinsea. I lost 6 of the before lockdown. I started them at that point because some of the eggs were already more than a week old.

The Wednesday hatch was 11 more Bantam Cochin/Chocolate Orpington eggs, 10 from a newer dozen from the previous owner and 1 they laid after they arrived. I lost 2 of the dozen and 3 they laid after arriving here before lockdown. MUCH better numbers. I also had 4 eggs from my LF Dark Cornish trio in this hatch.

So a total of 21 eggs made it to lockdown.

On Monday, nothing happened. I started losing hope for 6 of the eggs.

On Tuesday, I noticed that two of the eggs that were due to hatch Monday had pipped. By bedtime Tuesday, I had 2 babies and several more pipped eggs.

By time I woke on Wednesday, another baby had hatched and a 4th was not far behind. By the end of the day, 17 of the 21 eggs had hatched! 3 of the Monday hatch eggs and all but one Cornish egg from the Wednesday hatch. Unfortunately, around 24 hours after it hatched, the first chick to hatch died in my hand. So I have 16 chicks!

Three of the chicks are Cornish. Two of them are beautiful and fluffy.
View attachment 1317308
And this is poor Boot. He needed a lot of help. His toes on his left foot weren't so great so he got a boot. He lost his boot overnight and is much better now.
View attachment 1317696 View attachment 1316943 View attachment 1317695
This is the second chick that hatched. It really loves interacting with people. The adorable little booger wouldn't hold still for pictures so I had to hold it.View attachment 1317307
This is the sort of pictures I got when I wasn't holding it.
View attachment 1316942
Three of the chicks are almost completely yellow/white.
View attachment 1316947
Three of the chicks are a very light grey.
View attachment 1316951
One chick is a darker grey.View attachment 1316954
These two chicks are almost black, but have a lot of white in their faces.
View attachment 1316957 During pictures, the second chick started pecking at the other's foot fuzz.
View attachment 1317305
Then there are two almost black chicks.View attachment 1317306
And I think we ended up with one purebred Bantam Cochin in the bunch. It is the only one with a completely feathered toe AND a light beak. Plus, the head shape looks more like my LF cochins did when they were little where as the other ones have a more "orpington" looking heads.

I'm amazed at how friendly these chicks all are. All the other chicks I've hatched stopped wanting to have anything to do with humans if they had other chicks to hang out with. The BC/CO chicks all come running to the side when I walk by and like to investigate and climb on my hand when I put it in. So CUTE!
They are perfectly precious pintsized puffballs.
Great job Rae!

"And this is poor Boot. He needed a lot of help. His toes on his left foot weren't so great so he got a boot. He lost his boot overnight and is much better now."

I can't believe they make boots for chickens! So cute! They all are adorable! I am new to the chicken world and I'm curious, are all bantams hatched with feathered legs/feet?
I made a boot out of painters tape for Boot. It is used to straighten out the joins of a chick that hatched with issues.

No, there are clean legged bantams. These chicks (except for the Cornish) are all at least half Bantam Cochin, which is a feather legged variety.

"And this is poor Boot. He needed a lot of help. His toes on his left foot weren't so great so he got a boot. He lost his boot overnight and is much better now."

I can't believe they make boots for chickens! So cute! They all are adorable! I am new to the chicken world and I'm curious, are all bantams hatched with feathered legs/feet?

I tried to get updated pictures just now but it is WAY too hot, for me and the chicks. Here are the two pictures I got.

A BC/Chocolate Orp cockerel.
img_7822-jpg.1404549

LF Dark Cornish Cockerel.
img_7823-jpg.1404557

Back
Top Bottom