chicks going outside

seafood

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Today it is supposed to hit 60 degrees or so. could 10 day old chicks spend 5 or 10 minutes outside in the grass.

Too cold still and too young?

If they can, will they require grit as I am assuming they will eat some grass and possibly a bug or two?

I think 60 is still to cold for them at their age in my opinion. If they eat anything other than their chick starter they nedd a bit of chick grit just sprinkled on their food like you would salt your own food. You can get parakeet grit at a walmart or a pet store.

60 sounds awfully cold to me, but I'm in Texas and it hit 80 a few days ago, so my perspective may be off. I wait until it hits at least 70 to take my little ones out. My babies go out regularly and I've never offered grit, but the only things I've noticed them eat are tiny, soft bodied bugs and bits of sand. If you take them out, I'd watch and see what they manage to ingest, and decide whether to give them grit based on what you observe. And watch them anyway, because their antics in the great outdoors are too cute!

Back
Top Bottom