Chicks going with older chicks/hens

kwebb

Chirping
Mar 18, 2018
Texas
How long do you wait to let the chicks go with the hens? We have some 2 month old chicks. Right now we have them separated. I know they are too small, but at what time do you mix them with the big chicks/hens. We let them out and there was really one chick that goes after them, the other 3 don't really bother them. I am just curious when you know its ok to add them to the older hens.View attachment 1533745

Last edited:
Baby Chicks.jpg

This is about their 2nd week to be out there. So I will give it some more time and let them free range with the bigger chickens and monitor them and see how they do. I just don't know what to do if one chick keeps chasing them down.

This is how I gave my chicks a safe space, as lifting up the brooder didn't work for me (the hens just stuck their heads under it instead). There's a gap behind the white wire on either side by the bricks, big enough for chicks to fit through but not the hens. Same idea as lifting but it made the chicks feel safer since the hens couldn't stick their heads in from all sides like before

brood5.jpg

As I brooded my chicks in the run they were out of the brooder after 2 or 3 weeks to start mingling with the hens and fully moved into the coop at 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom