Chicks growing strange feathers

This girl maybe the reason for the Silkie feathering. Noticed she has light leg feathering, the crest is a clue for me too. I believe she's a Silkie mix of some sort.
View attachment 3222686
This is my girl Griffen, she's Silkie/Brahma X Silkie. For comparison.
View attachment 3222688
Despite being solid feathered, she may be split for the Silkie Feather gene.

Silkie mixes vary alot some may lack, or maybe missing some specific traits such as Crest, Walnut, Rose, or Pea comb(Based genes of walnut comb make up), 5 toes, black skin, or leg feathering.
Thanks for this, yes, I think everyone is right that Funny hat was part Silkie. I personally think she may have only been 1/4 silkie or less.

Last edited:
Just thought I put post an update. The 7 new chicks from the same parents as the strange feather chicks have feathered out enough for me to see their feathers. They all seem to be normal so far. But statistically speaking, it is more likely to have all normal chicks than all 6 being silkied like the l other batch. So, I just have to wait for the next batch. I have 7 eggs incubating right now.

One thing I will do though is ask the two people I sold eggs to from these parents, how their chicks are looking. I sold a dozen eggs not long before I realized the feathers were looking strange on my first batch.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
I love them so much 😍 So sorry that you lost one, though! I had pretty rotten luck with cockerels this year as well, 10 males and 5 females in my big hatch. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was hoping to build a nice breeding group out of some of these chicks and the best I can do now is a trio pending how everyone finishes growing out. 😅 Hatching season's over for me as it'll be too cold too soon where I live to try and rear chicks, so I'll be living vicariously through you. :D

This girl maybe the reason for the Silkie feathering. Noticed she has light leg feathering, the crest is a clue for me too. I believe she's a Silkie mix of some sort.
Screenshot_20220814-082508_Chrome.jpg

This is my girl Griffen, she's Silkie/Brahma X Silkie. For comparison.
20211123_152113.jpg

Despite being solid feathered, she may be split for the Silkie Feather gene.

Silkie mixes vary alot some may lack, or maybe missing some specific traits such as Crest, Walnut, Rose, or Pea comb(Based genes of walnut comb make up), 5 toes, black skin, or leg feathering.

Back
Top Bottom