Chicks growing strange feathers

She didn't ha e any other silkie traits that I was aware of, so I don't think she had much silkie in her... But who knows!!

My first thought was Legbar as well, but definitely not pure as her feather coloration and shank color isn't right for the breed. It's certainly possible to combine other breeds and make something that resembles a Legbar without actually being one, though, so who knows what's in her! If she at any point in her background had a Silkie or other silkied breed crossed in, the gene is recessive and can be inherited without being exhibited for generations. Breeding sibling to sibling as you did brings it out if both siblings happen to have inherited the gene, which apparently they did! Some of their chicks will inherit the two copies needed to express the trait, one from both parents, and therefore be silkied as you've seen. This could be an explanation for what happened here!

I am also very interested in seeing how they turn out, so I hope you keep updating with them! I'm in love with the idea of silkied Dorkings now! 😍

I am also very interested in seeing how they turn out, so I hope you keep updating with them! I'm in love with the idea of silkied Dorkings now! 😍
Yes, I've been thinking about what I might do with these birds. All the babies look to be silkied, I'm assuming each parent bird has the gene and that two are required for expression of the gene. But for all to be silkied instead of 25% is a mystery to me.

I basically have three options:

1. Cross these chicks back to a Dorking and work to make a silkied Dorking.

2. Cross these chicks back to an Orpington and work to make a silkied Orpington.

3. Do both of the above.

My only concern is that in terms of space, time and money, I'm not sure doing the Dorking will be that popular here in New Zealand, while I know Orpingtons are well known and sought after by many more people here. There might be a niche of people interested in the silkied Dorking, but its really hard to tell. I just sold a flock of dorkings and they went for a good price. Many people had been searching for them as they aren't as common, but would people be as interested if it was silkied?

My other thought is that I have a black Orpington rooster as well as a lavender Orpinton rooster. I'm thinking it might be really cool to work on a silkied version of both!

Also, I worked out on paper how many years this might take and my question is, how pure do I need to have the base breed (Orpington /Dorking) for it to breed true? I could achieve around 7/8 of the base breed in 3 years or 15/16 of the base breed in 4 years, assuming I managed to get 2 generations in a year at best.

I really like the idea of a silkied Orpington because they are already pretty fluffy. We have the English version here I believe. I would probably call them a black or lavender fluffington or floofington if silkied. Lol :lol:

Anyway, I'd love to know: which would be the best to focus on, a silkied Dorking or a silkied Orpington?

Yes, I've been thinking about what I might do with these birds. All the babies look to be silkied, I'm assuming each parent bird has the gene and that two are required for expression of the gene. But for all to be silkied instead of 25% is a mystery to me.

How many have you hatched so far? Yes, it's against the odds for all of them to be silkied out of parents who are only carriers, but not impossible, especially if it's only a small sample so far.

I basically have three options:

1. Cross these chicks back to a Dorking and work to make a silkied Dorking.

2. Cross these chicks back to an Orpington and work to make a silkied Orpington.

3. Do both of the above.

My only concern is that in terms of space, time and money, I'm not sure doing the Dorking will be that popular here in New Zealand, while I know Orpingtons are well known and sought after by many more people here. There might be a niche of people interested in the silkied Dorking, but its really hard to tell. I just sold a flock of dorkings and they went for a good price. Many people had been searching for them as they aren't as common, but would people be as interested if it was silkied?

My other thought is that I have a black Orpington rooster as well as a lavender Orpinton rooster. I'm thinking it might be really cool to work on a silkied version of both!

See, in my opinion, you should do both, but I just really like silkied varieties. :lol:

If you feel like the Dorkings won't be very successful there, then trust your gut and go with the Orpingtons. It's all fine and good for me to sit behind my computer from across the world and say do both, but of course I don't have to pay for the feed or put in the work to raise them out. I support bringing silkied feathering to any breed, but I also support doing what works best for you and your flock at any given time.

Breeding both Black and Lavender would be pretty simple once you've gotten them to solid Black, Lavender being a single recessive gene diluting solid Black. Both would look amazing in silkied, too, but of course I might be a bit biased in that opinion. ;)

Also, I worked out on paper how many years this might take and my question is, how pure do I need to have the base breed (Orpington /Dorking) for it to breed true? I could achieve around 7/8 of the base breed in 3 years or 15/16 of the base breed in 4 years, assuming I managed to get 2 generations in a year at best.

I don't know if it's the same in New Zealand, but here in the U.S., it's less a matter of purity and more a matter of matching all the points for the breed in the standard. Since chickens would be difficult at best to pedigree, what is most important is whether they visually look like the breed they're purported to be. It's not terribly uncommon here to outcross to other breeds in order to introduce genes, then breed back to the base breed to bring back the proper type, comb, and other traits for that breed. I can't help you on how many generations that would take as I have no experience there, but if you keep selecting for the best representatives of the breed you want plus silkied feathering, you should get there eventually.

I really like the idea of a silkied Orpington because they are already pretty fluffy. We have the English version here I believe. I would probably call them a black or lavender fluffington or floofington if silkied. Lol :lol:

I love everything about this and would support you in this decision. 🤣

This girl maybe the reason for the Silkie feathering. Noticed she has light leg feathering, the crest is a clue for me too. I believe she's a Silkie mix of some sort.
Screenshot_20220814-082508_Chrome.jpg

This is my girl Griffen, she's Silkie/Brahma X Silkie. For comparison.
20211123_152113.jpg

Despite being solid feathered, she may be split for the Silkie Feather gene.

Silkie mixes vary alot some may lack, or maybe missing some specific traits such as Crest, Walnut, Rose, or Pea comb(Based genes of walnut comb make up), 5 toes, black skin, or leg feathering.

This girl maybe the reason for the Silkie feathering. Noticed she has light leg feathering, the crest is a clue for me too. I believe she's a Silkie mix of some sort.
View attachment 3222686
This is my girl Griffen, she's Silkie/Brahma X Silkie. For comparison.
View attachment 3222688
Despite being solid feathered, she may be split for the Silkie Feather gene.

Silkie mixes vary alot some may lack, or maybe missing some specific traits such as Crest, Walnut, Rose, or Pea comb(Based genes of walnut comb make up), 5 toes, black skin, or leg feathering.
Thanks for this, yes, I think everyone is right that Funny hat was part Silkie. I personally think she may have only been 1/4 silkie or less.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom