Chicks growing too big for brooder

johnjacklynch

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
Troutman, NC
Hi, all! First off, yes I know this topic has been posted before, but they didn't quite answer my questions. So sorry if this seems repetitive! I have 10 chicks who are now just over 2 weeks old and they are quickly out growing their brooder.

I thought I got a big enough box to hold them, but they're definitely not going to last in there more than another week without being overcrowded. I know I need to move them into something bigger, but I'm just not sure what the best option is.

Should I put them in like a covered dog pen scenario outside during the day and then back in the brooder to sleep or would they be alright just inside in a pen inside until they are ready for the coop. Do they need a heat lamp during playtime outside during the day? Temperatures in NC right now range from about 40-50 degrees F so I'm guessing yes?

Lemme know your thoughts!
Thank you!

Not sure what your weather is like, but if they’re only two weeks old, I’d keep them inside - until they are feathered out. If you have a couple of big boxes, you can cut them up to fit together and duct tape them so the babies can’t move them apart and escape. And I always use a heating plate (like an EcoGlow) in the brooder, not a heat lamp.

We set up the boxes on an eight foot table in the basement. Gave them lots of room to roam. Then we moved them into a cage and moved them out into the coop with the other birds. But that was in the Summer and after they were a month old.

They definitely still need some sort of heat, heat lamp etc. Unless your dog pen has had a lot of work it’s not going to keep them in and definitely not predator proof. Keep them warm and very secure and safe with room until they are ready for the coop. Consider building a brooder from osb, hardware cloth, and some 2x4’s. It doesn’t have to be pretty just safe.

HTB1j3oYJXXXXXXNXpXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg
I thought I got a big enough box to hold them, but they're definitely not going to last in there more than another week without being overcrowded. I know I need to move them into something bigger, but I'm just not sure what the best option is.

I have had mine 14 barred rocks till may be 1.5 months upgraded to watermelon
bulkbins1.jpg
box (free from the grocery store). It is about the size of the pallet.

(sorry have no idea while multiple images are attached but none showing when editing)

You could update your profile with your location, helps others figure out your time zone & weather conditions. Many people don't realize how FAST chicks grow, like weeds. Search the forum for MHP by Blooie, may help you with the "covered dog pen" idea but they do need warmths still. How big is the dog pen? Have you started their Coop?

Not sure what your weather is like, but if they’re only two weeks old, I’d keep them inside - until they are feathered out. If you have a couple of big boxes, you can cut them up to fit together and duct tape them so the babies can’t move them apart and escape. And I always use a heating plate (like an EcoGlow) in the brooder, not a heat lamp.

We set up the boxes on an eight foot table in the basement. Gave them lots of room to roam. Then we moved them into a cage and moved them out into the coop with the other birds. But that was in the Summer and after they were a month old.

That's about the size or smaller than the brooder they have now. With 10 chicks it's just too small I think. I think I will keep them inside with a heat lamp in the dog pen surrounded in wire mesh and maybe cover the top with something so they can't fly out until I can get them into their coop in a month or so.

I have had mine 14 barred rocks till may be 1.5 months upgraded to watermelon
bulkbins1.jpg
box (free from the grocery store). It is about the size of the pallet.

(sorry have no idea while multiple images are attached but none showing when editing)

Wow! That's a good idea. Not sure if any grocery stores have any of those I could have but I'll definitely look around! :D

You could update your profile with your location, helps others figure out your time zone & weather conditions. Many people don't realize how FAST chicks grow, like weeds. Search the forum for MHP by Blooie, may help you with the "covered dog pen" idea but they do need warmths still. How big is the dog pen? Have you started their Coop?

Yeah, I was not really prepared for the growth. Coop is slowly in the works, but should definitely be done in about 2-3 weeks. The dog pen I'm looking into getting is about 6' or 8' wide and 42" tall. The wire is pretty far apart at the bottom so I might surround it in chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom