Chicks Hatching

Chickadee337

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Santa Fe, TX
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry to read about the dud that wasn't. I hope that momma sticks around for the late eggs. The other chicks need to be out and about learning how to eat. I assume you have food and water nearby for them.
Of course! They’re are all doing very well. Eating drinking and driving their momma crazy. Momma gets up, walks around for a sec and goes back to the eggs.

Chickadee337

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Santa Fe, TX
When you candle the eggs give them a sniff. If there's a bad one in there, there won't be a doubt in your mind.
See, I thought I read that somewhere but wasn’t sure. And when I candled them the other day I, hesitantly, sniffed one and my son looked at me like I was crazy. Lol! None of them have any type of odor. So I’m good this far.

BDutch

Crowing
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks for all the positive messages. No new chicks today. I’ve never experienced a rotten egg. If one is bad will it be noticeable before it’s tooo late? The only one I’m concerned with at this point is #5. The last of the first eggs she started with. Egg is full, so all you can see is the air sac. Curiosity killed #1 yesterday. . The other three left still have time as long as she stays on them a few more days.
I never had problems with rotten eggs myself. But I know they can ‘explode’. I experienced a breeding chicken tossed an egg out of the nest I marked as ‘probably not alive’ Some people say that a hen can hear it, if the egg is not alive. They communicate before hatching.

If the egg is not tranparant besides the airchamber there is an embryo or chick inside. But its not certain the embryo-chick will be alive. ‘
‘miscarriages‘ are quit common.

As I remember; From approx 12 days the eggs get dark when candeld. If the hen is breeding on eggs for over 26 days it can get rotten. Best remove these eggs before it can explode.

Have my fingers crossed for your eggs Chickadee337. Good luck and a lot of oohs and Aahs.

gimmie birdies

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I have let hens hatch eggs, you can fit over 9 eggs under a hen, some people say "oh it is cute, she is sitting on 40 eggs!" It is not cute when they all don't hatch. the colder the weather the less eggs she should have. they say have an odd number, 7-5 is a good number, and if other hens have access to the box, be sure to mark the eggs and they are all the same age.

Top Bottom