Chicks hating bedding

They probably don't hate their bedding, they just love scratching:) I use extra large dog crates as brooders and attach thin cardboard to the bottom 6 inches to keep the shavings in. We still end up with shavings all around the outside of the crates🙄

Exactly. My brooder is bedding with 3-4 inches of shavings over a thick layer of straw and my chicks always manage to dig holes in it as they grow.

Do you have a heat lamp? If so, how close is it to the chicks and does it cover the brooder or just in one spot?
As I had chicks doing this once and it turned out they were doing it to get further away from the heat as they were too hot
This bigger brooder is actually a large dog cage the lamp is in middle keeping it around 75 in cage they stay up front of cage even if house is cooler they don’t move closer to lamp

Exactly. My brooder is bedding with 3-4 inches of shavings over a thick layer of straw and my chicks always manage to dig holes in it as they grow.
Funny this larger brooder is a larger dog cage and a mess constantly even with wood lol I give up until they go outside

This bigger brooder is actually a large dog cage the lamp is in middle keeping it around 75 in cage they stay up front of cage even if house is cooler they don’t move closer to lamp

How old are they?

They may be too hot. Can you move the lamp to one end so that you have a warm spot and a cooler area?

Back
Top Bottom