Chicks in nesting boxes

JessieKell

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
I had baby chicks hatch under our hens two days ago inside the nesting box. They still haven’t gotten out to get food or water. I have been told to leave them be, but I’m worried they can’t get out to get their food and water. Two hens decided to brood in one box and there are about 17 more eggs waiting to be hatched at the same time so there is no room to put food and water in with them. I’ve been told they can jump out when the mama is ready for them to, but I don’t know if they are able. Should I take them out?

Attachments

• 00CCC1C4-891C-48E5-9252-699A704CA9C9.jpeg
    00CCC1C4-891C-48E5-9252-699A704CA9C9.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 13
I've taken mom and her chicks out and place them in either a wire puppy pen or the newfangled nylon puppy pen. They do great.
DSCN2849.JPG

I had baby chicks hatch under our hens two days ago inside the nesting box. They still haven’t gotten out to get food or water. I have been told to leave them be, but I’m worried they can’t get out to get their food and water. Two hens decided to brood in one box and there are about 17 more eggs waiting to be hatched at the same time so there is no room to put food and water in with them. I’ve been told they can jump out when the mama is ready for them to, but I don’t know if they are able. Should I take them out?
They will leave when their mother leaves.
How do the hatch get so staggered that they hatched 2 days ago when there are in 17 eggs left to go? When are those 17 eggs due to hatch? How many broody hens are in that one nest?

I've taken mom and her chicks out and place them in either a wire puppy pen or the newfangled nylon puppy pen. They do great.View attachment 2736958
Oh such a good idea! Thank you! I don’t know what to do because not all are hatched, but there is another hen brooding inside the box. Should I want until they all hatch? This will be the third day of no water or food for the hatched chicks and I’m worried about them.

Thanks you! There were originally three hens brooding and they eggs were collected at different times. I had to move some of the eggs under the others when the third hen stopped being broody.

They will leave when their mother leaves.
How do the hatch get so staggered that they hatched 2 days ago when there are in 17 eggs left to go? When are those 17 eggs due to hatch? How many broody hens are in that one nest?
Thanks you! There were originally three hens brooding and they eggs were collected at different times. I had to move some of the eggs under the others when the third hen stopped being broody. There are two in one. I tried to separate them but they kept going back together so I had to leave them.

Since it has been three days, I'd take the chicks and mom out. The other broody hen should remain on the nest.

Back
Top Bottom