chicks in shipping-- tell me not to panic

I have followed your thread from the beginning, starting when u were fretting the chicks would die in transit, but they arrived early and Appeared to be ok at first. I am sorry your experience has been so horrendous. I am hoping things go right from here on out, including hoping that Cuckoo is a Girl!

The chicks are all outside now while I clean up their pen. They seem happy to see some sunshine. Question for those in the know: We are finished 7 days of antibiotic (sulfa.). I was planning to have 5 days off meds to give them probiotics, and then 5-7 days Corid just in case. Does that sound right? Then I was going to wait 2 weeks and do another fecal float test. Do you think the second fecal float is necessary? (The expense isn't the main issue -- it a 3 hour round trip to go to the lab and back.)

Update on the chicks: They have severe coccidiosis again. I am giving corid. One unfortunately had to be sacrificed in order to test what they have, as I am not exposing them to the other chicks without confirmation that they are in the clear. Per the vet who did the necropsy, that one had very severe coccidiosis and damage to the intestines. Cultures are still pending on respiratory issues.

I think it is possible we resolved the coccidiosis they arrived with, and that they contracted my home version of it here. This time they just have diarrhea, not bloody poo, and they are not as sick. Yet the autopsy showed it was severe, perhaps from the previous intestinal damage.

Good grief! On top of everything else 2020 has thrown at us, you and your chicks did not deserve this! You get the mama of the year award in my book. We're all here for you. 😟

Yeah, to be honest, it was my own folly getting older than day old chickens by mail. Never again. Because even if all goes well henceforth, these chicks will never grow up to be hardy, productive hens.
Unfortunately that is why the USPS has those rules in effect. To protect the birds being shipped. You live and you learn. Hopefully your experience will teach others and it won't all be a waste.

Back
Top Bottom