Chicks in spring...

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Hi, in spring I will hopefully be getting four chicks. But,
Would someone sell me only four chicks? We only have pretty much mixed breeds or breeds were unsure of. We don't want to many as we already have eight but we'd like two for both of us to show for 4H (also we hens that may go broody so we will give them about six eggs).
The breeds we want to get our two Polishes, one BBS Wyandotts, and one Plymouth Rock. Is it okay to have mixed chicks like that? And does anyone know of a hatchery in MN that has those breeds?

Thanks
big_smile.png

mypetchicken.com sells as few as three chicks at a time but I don't think that they will breack it down the way you are looking for. I think you would have better luck finding someone close to you to that has those breeds and will hatch for you.

Strombergschickens.com is located in Pine River, MN. I don't know if you can pick up chicks, but you can call them. Otherwise, mypetchicken.com or meyerhatchery.com offers small orders, that can be shipped.

Depending on where you live in MN, you may even consider crossing the state border (to Iowa, for example) to collect chicks at local hatchery if they allow it.

Some people even group together to order the minimum 25 chicks and split them accordingly.

Good luck....

Thank you!

I emailed the Stromberg chickens one about pick up and if that doesn't work we will order from meyerhatchery.

I know that you should check Craigs list also in the spring. We have a few local farms that place large batch orders for popular breeds and then split them up for local back yard folks.

I might do that eventually myself. They only order pullets though as most folks in the suburbs and city can't have roosters. They tend to take the 10% roosters and absorb them into their own flock, rehome them as freebees or, freezer camp them.

This doesn't always work as well when you want something unusual, like the Polish, but it's worth a look.

Laney

Back
Top Bottom