Chicks in the coop How cold can they take it?

Roxannemc

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
SE Missouri
Baby chicks are now 7 weeks -9 weeks old.
7 wks are going out to the coop this week.
It got down to 39 last night and the 9 weeks old were in the 2x4x2 coop with a light bulb on. Seemed to do fine Thinking it will get to 32 and below soon ...What temp is the lowest they can handle when a young age but have all their feathers without a heat source of some kind.?

Truly, some will say to add a little night time heat, but really, with true winter coming? The toughest, but kindest thing to do, if they are 7 - 9 weeks old now and feathered out, is to allow them to acclimate to cold temperatures. The birds adjust and grow better feathering, as this is nature's way.

Remember also, that while it may have been 39 outside, inside the coop it was likely around 45. Enjoy your young birds. This is a great time to watch them grow.

Last edited:
At 7-9 weeks they should be fine in the coop. It's generally recomended to ween them from the heat so lower the temp for a few nights before just cutting it off. Mine were on their own at 4 weeks with night time lows dropping to 50.

Last edited:
Truly, some will say to add a little night time heat, but really, with true winter coming? The toughest, but kindest thing to do, if they are 7 - 9 weeks old now and feathered out, is to allow them to acclimate to cold temperatures. The birds adjust and grow better feathering, as this is nature's way.

Remember also, that while it may have been 39 outside, inside the coop it was likely around 45. Enjoy your young birds. This is a great time to watch them grow.

Thanks so much ..I see your point .Makes sense.

At 7-9 weeks they should be fine in the coop. It's generally recomended to ween them from the heat so lower the temp for a few nights before just cutting it off. Mine were on their own at 4 weeks with night time lows dropping to 50.
Will start today,Thanks

I'm starting my incubating tomorrow and will hopfully have chicks by the end of the month, and so mid january they will be in the 10 week range. would you put them outside? I plan on keeping them inside my unheated barn till spring as Michigan has had some nasty winters and I don't have anyplace to put them right now except in the barn. I will brood them there, and ween them off the heat until spring when I can build a coop and run for them.

I'm starting my incubating tomorrow and will hopfully have chicks by the end of the month, and so mid january they will be in the 10 week range. would you put them outside? I plan on keeping them inside my unheated barn till spring as Michigan has had some nasty winters and I don't have anyplace to put them right now except in the barn. I will brood them there, and ween them off the heat until spring when I can build a coop and run for them.

The wise thing is brooding them out there, I feel. That way, it is easier to acclimate them in December. You'll have to ween them off the heat at 7 weeks. They will do just fine. I don't like to have chicks any later than September, up here, because the electricity costs of brooding. But I've taken young chicks through winter and they've done just fine. They are young and full of energy and life. Get them used to 50 degrees at 5 weeks. Get them used to 50 degrees at 6 weeks, 40 degrees at 7 weeks and then..... they'll be on their own, full, full feathering and too big to smother each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom