chicks laying down

just one thing i was thinking, it could be a temperature issue.
if your chicks are laying away from the heat source with there wings open well layed out i think its a little hot for them .
i been there and made that mistake use a good thermometer at bedding level .

for the first week or so I get scared when the chicks sleep... I can't help but tap the brooder to make sure they are okay... It reminds me when I would put a finger under my kids nose when they were infants and sleeping... just to make sure....

ah the joys of being a mom!

My chicks are always spralled out around the coop. They tend to fall asleep wherever they were playing.

Chicks are babies, they sleep all the time just like baby anythings. Mine always sleep in a chick pile. Its ridiculously cute.

If they just came in and theyre passed out sleeping without having eaten, give them some sugar water, and zap the sleepers with a blow dryer on the warm setting a little to booster their core temperature. Just hold them close and wave the dryer so theyre not too scared or hot.

They'll perk up. The sugar water will boost their energy so they can eat and drink as they should- they havent yet in their whole lives, so its important for them to.

if they have eaten and drank, or at least drank, theyre fine. All chicks sleep laying down when theyre so little. They would normally be squashed under a hen into the bedding. They like it.

When they came in they were actually very warm and chirping loudly. I put Sugar in their water roughly 100 degrees F and after they ate and drank they just started "passing out." I always figured they would sleep sitting up but the picture with the chicks passed out on the feeder is exactly what mine are doing. good to know all is well tho.

Back
Top Bottom