chicks lost in the mail

I can't help being disturbed about the fact that baby chicks which die during shipment suffer a miserable death. They are an innocent life that did not ask to be thrown in a box and then left to the elements and neglect by shipment through distance. I wish there was another way for us all.
sad.png

Please let us know if the new order gets to you in time. We all hate to see the babies get lost. Also, if possible, put some pics up so we may marvel at their awesomeness!!
ep.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
That's really not an option for a lot of people. The only chickens local to me are flea market chickens bred with God knows what. Craigslist and other similar sites have roosters a dime a dozen practically but if you want young purebred chicks, you have to order them. It's not that we are taking the easy way out or see them as disposable....for some its the only way to get the breed they want. Stuff happens. Most of the time chicks arrive safely.

Quote:
That's really not an option for a lot of people. The only chickens local to me are flea market chickens bred with God knows what. Craigslist and other similar sites have roosters a dime a dozen practically but if you want young purebred chicks, you have to order them. It's not that we are taking the easy way out or see them as disposable....for some its the only way to get the breed they want. Stuff happens. Most of the time chicks arrive safely.

x2! I live in NH and there aren't any hatcheries local to me. Certain breeds/assortment bargains just aren't available later in the "season". We have to order when they are available. If people order chicks early on in the "season", I reccomend ordering from a hatchery that will add cockerel packing peanuts for warmth!

Quote:

x2! I live in NH and there aren't any hatcheries local to me. Certain breeds/assortment bargains just aren't available later in the "season". We have to order when they are available. If people order chicks early on in the "season", I reccomend ordering from a hatchery that will add cockerel packing peanuts for warmth!

x3! :) I don't really live in a farming area so there is no "buy local" option for me. The feed stores do NOT get in chicks and my TSC typically only gets red stars and cornish x's. I lucked out this morning and got 6 ameraucanas.

Plus people get early chicks for many different reasons. My chickens ARE NOT pets. I have to plan buying them around when they'll start laying (or when my freezer will be getting low) so I have a constant supply of eggs (and meat). Not to mention that with all the garden and orchard planting I'll be doing this spring/summer I don't need to add another $100 or so of livestock to an already thinly stretched summer budget.

Back
Top Bottom