Chicks Love Perching!

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
It is amazing how quickly chicks enjoy perching. I added a few pieces of clean driftwood to my brooders. From nearly day two they have loved perching on the things! No sleeping on the floor, they'd rather climb onto a log and snooze there! My chicks are only about five days old. I will have to post pictures later today. If anyone else has any perching photos to share, please do!

It is even better when they make their hoppy flappy flying lessons off their perches too. So-freaking-adorable!

I made some little perches for my chicks the day after we brought them home, we used some clothes pins and some dowel. They jumped on them almost immediately! Some of them are sleeping on them now, some of them are kind of sleeping on them.... 😂
You might also notice the evolution of bedding in our broader, thanks to BYC. I had no idea newspaper was such a no-no! They are very happy on pine pellets now.
20210216_213058.jpg
20210217_091440.jpg
20210217_212941.jpg

Cuties! This thread hasn't been posted on, or looked at by the original members since 2011. It isn't likely that these members will still respond, or are even still following these threads. That is if they are even still on BYC. your babies are adorable! I love them, feel free to post a thread in the "stories and pictures of my chickens" forum. Then, everyone will see you adorable babies! ☺️

Cuties! This thread hasn't been posted on, or looked at by the original members since 2011. It isn't likely that these members will still respond, or are even still following these threads. That is if they are even still on BYC. your babies are adorable! I love them, feel free to post a thread in the "stories and pictures of my chickens" forum. Then, everyone will see you adorable babies! ☺️
Thank you! I honestly didn't even look at the dates on this thread 🤦‍♀️I'll post in 'stories and pictures of my chickens', thanks for the tip!

Quote:
What a good idea, If I successfully have my first batch of babies this weekend I will try that too.

Quote:
Mine were perching on feeder and waterer too. I ended up having to hang mine and did put about 5 small logs in the brooder for them to perch on! Some like to perch and others still like to snuggle in the pine chips.
tongue.png

It definitely helps reducing incidents of poop in their feeder and waterer, since they poop while perched just like they would as adults! It really seems a touch more natural with them perching, especially because they love it so much. Probably helps with their balance skills. At first there were some falls (nothing more than an inch or two) but now they've got the hang of it!

Back
Top Bottom