Chicks now or spring?

Wondering how much time, skill and resources the OP has for building the coop?

It can take a long time to build a coop, especially if you don't have any building experience, and a fair amount of money.

Living where you do you need to make darn sure you can get it built and winterized before that snow flies...keep in mind shoveling access out to the coop, managing snow load on top of it and windbreaks in the run and ventilation in the coop.

If you can pull off the build project, then go for it now. The witchita is nice design but kind of small, modify it to be larger!
(oh BTW the dust will cover your washer and dryer)

Best of luck to ya!

I think the OP has the resources to get job done. She also appears to be thinking on her feet which will help. Off-season rearing is challenging and may require considerations about warmth that simply are not realized during the spring and summer. To counter cold you will have more than coop design to work with, you can also employ hay / straw to provide warm dry places to stand. This also a time I would encourage the roosting in a nest to an advanced age. Biggest challenge will be keeping juveniles in water during coldest part of winter when their water requirements are higher than with adults under similar conditions.

I just hatched off a hen incubated brood yesterday. Starting about 6 weeks from now they will be in a situation similar to what you are contemplating. I have yet to construct their coop which will be in a location lacking a proper wind break. All this will have to be in place by mid-November.

I think the OP has the resources to get job done. She also appears to be thinking on her feet which will help. Off-season rearing is challenging and may require considerations about warmth that simply are not realized during the spring and summer. To counter cold you will have more than coop design to work with, you can also employ hay / straw to provide warm dry places to stand. This also a time I would encourage the roosting in a nest to an advanced age. Biggest challenge will be keeping juveniles in water during coldest part of winter when their water requirements are higher than with adults under similar conditions.

I just hatched off a hen incubated brood yesterday. Starting about 6 weeks from now they will be in a situation similar to what you are contemplating. I have yet to construct their coop which will be in a location lacking a proper wind break. All this will have to be in place by mid-November.

1f44d.png
. Thanks for the encouragement. I've got my coop placement set so I've got the best wind break and have already grabbed several bales of hay to keep around the bottom of the coop. My brother is a contractor who built our 800 square foot deck this summer (yeah...it's HUGE) so I have zero doubts we can get it done in just a weekend.

Incorporate into design a box laying on its side that is large enough to accommodate six half grown chickens with a lot of straw as well. Then imprint chicks on that box. I can provide details on the imprinting process. Also have an area within coop with stray / have birds can stand directly on. In the past I had coops large enough for me to place to straw bales into such that they can positioned to form a horizontal "V". Then place straw inside V to provide loafing area.

Also try to take advantage of sunlight is coop to be south facing. Make so loafing area is in direct sunlight so birds can sun themselves in a dry area protected from wind. Generally my birds most likely to be cold stressed during day because when active they have legs and head exposed while less likely to snuggle. Replace straw / hay in loafing area as needed to keep it dry. I like to use high quality hay since birds can consume choice parts for some nutritional benefit.

Quote: Awesome!!.......The build process shocks and overwhelms many folks and they end up in a jam with no shelter and huge chicks hitting their head on the top of the brooder...lol.

I hope you post pics of your build and all! Have Fun!

KitKat:  I don't know if you've stated where you are, or how cold your winters are, but, regarding the leghorn... There is a rose combed leghorn.  That would provide the leghorn experience without the frost bite issue.  Of course, your husband may be basing his leghorn stereotype on the huge floppy comb.

I love mines floppy comb!:cd

Back
Top Bottom