Chicks of the past! 35 out of 38 HATCHED!!! UPDATE! 2-23-09 last pg.

I think thats it. I hear no more peeps from the remainig eggs. I have a question, The chick that I helped his down isn't dry well he is dry but not completely it have already passed about 9 hours since it hatch and the down isn't dry. On the first one that hatched in less than 5 hours his down was already dry. How can I get him to dry he looks dry but it looks like the feathers sticked to his body maybe because of the yolk how can I wash it of so it can dry and be puffy??????

THERES A BIG DEFORMITY IN THE LAST CHICK THAT HATCHED!!!!!!!!!

I was checking the chicks to see that they didn't had any deformity or damaged spot. I checked the last chick that hatched and it had 5 TOES!!! on each leg! He has 1 2 3 and the 4th toe. At the 4th toe there is another toe coming out of the same toe!!!!

No need to stress. There are breeds w/ 5 toes out there and maybe that chick was a cross. I've actually had chicks w/ 6 toes each foot...now that was odd!
lol.png
They were silkies...which usually have 5 toes.

***edited to add...it was probably a frizzle egg...they are "made" by crossing silkies.***

Last edited:
Just a tip for bleeding navels....put some corn starch on the bleeding area as quick as you can and that will hopefully stop the bleeding and save the chick. I have a bowl of corn starch beside the incubator along with an eyebrow plucker for picking away at the shell when helping chicks.

Ok we took out the chicks from the bator lat night and turned off the bator and left the remainig eggs in there till tomorrow because I was very tired. When I woke up, saw the bator and there was a chick! he looked very weak so maybe he will die
hit.gif
. We have 35 chicks out from 38 eggs. BUT 34 chicks from the 35 that hatced. We are now giving the little weak chick in there for dead. We know that he will not make it so for us its already dead but of course we tried everything, Medications, Good care, But nothing seems to work. Right now we have named 5 chicks, an EE, Frizzle, BL, 2 BO's. The EE is named after her mother Aurora that died in an incident (For the story look on my page) We are 100% that she is a she because we have tried many methods to find out her gender and they the results are 100% PULLET we did the string method, wing method, and many more we did it more than 3 times each and still got the same results. The BL is named Chips, The Frizzle is named Muffin, An BO is named after my other loved chick that also died at the incident Buffy, Another BO named Creamy he is the lightest feather chick from the other BO's.

PASTY BUTTS!!!!!

how can we get them out of that problem????? How do I get rid of the pasty butts???

Congrats on all your chicks!
yippiechickie.gif
That is an awesome hatch rate. I don't know anything about pasty butts, but I think I have read that you need to clean it off. We have our first batch hatching right now! It is so exciting!
wee.gif

Quote:
Soak a Q-tip in warm water to remove ...just be careful about pulling it off. Put vaseline on the vent so that nothing sticks to it.
Check all the chicks one by one frequently and clean them up.

Temps should be 95 degrees with room to get away from the lamp, lack of proper heat could be a factor for pasty butt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Hope you have a good hatching rate! please keep me posted about your babies! when i get home from school I will try to clean them up.

Back
Top Bottom