Chicks on the Way Maybe.........finally!

Lost two more this morning. 2 of the Cockoo Marhans. They are on medicated feed and they were vaccinated for Mericks at MPC. I moved the waterer into the hot room just in case that is the problem. Also told my kids to stop holding them so much. My oldest son told me the two youngest kid have been holding the chicks a lot. I know they aren't handling them roughly but I am wondering if being out of the brooder too much is causing the problems? I just hope I don't loose any more.
fl.gif

Hi Nuclear,

do you have the usual? Grit provided in food? Electrolytes in water as additional? perhaps too much handling wore them out, the chicks may need to rest some.

I hope you feel ok soon, dead chicks is a bummer.

Sheila

Thanks for the concerns. Two questions since this is my second flock ever I am not new but still figuring some things out. Grit provided in food? I thought this didn't come till later. My last flock I never provided grit till they went outside and had no problems. Is this some thing I should be providing now? I am feeding Chick Starter Mash. (Medicated) Bought from my local feed store. If this was the problem wouldn't they all die at the same time due to lack of digestion? Additional Electrolytes in water Again, I thought this wasn't til they went out side? And if I need to do it now, where do I get it? Feed store? What kind do I buy? How much? Please don't think I am doubting your advise. I welcome all of it. Just that I am an Aircraft Mechanic by trade and tend to troubleshoot through a Logical Progression. Thanks for the help and patience.

No worries about concerns and expressing doubt, I am also learning as I go, and have so much more to learn too. Definitely no offense taken.

From what I've read and researched, chicks do need grit, and yes, before they go outside. I'm not sure how your first batch did it without grit, but I was instructed in the "Baby Chick Guidelines" notes that were given to me from when I bought my first batch of chicks (plymouth rocks) at the store. There was a checklist of things to provide for them, and grit was one of them. We bought a commercial packet (grounded granite and it was red in color) to keep things simple and added it to the food, like humans seasoning food with a tinge of salt. I thought it was the store being a strong advocate to buy 'this' and 'that', to increase their own shop profits, and doubted the purchase of grit, but then later on, I read many other books and online message threads that said that it was indeed necessary, so I guess, it was wiser for us to err on the side of caution and bought the grit.

Included in this list was also electrolytes. Again, we bought it together at the feed store, with the chicks and all, it is a yellow package, but I have also seen it in other colored packages. Refer to this example from My Pet Chicken http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Vitamins-and-Electrolytes-p179.aspx

The check list instructed that for the first couple days, we should just feed cool water but after that, we can sprinkle the powdered electrolytes into the water (till it turns a light yellow shade) and then alternate between plain water and electrolyted water after that.

In addition to this, I ordered something extra for my chicks called Gro Gel, another online hatchery calls theirs Grogel Plus B. It is basically a powdered mixture which you add water to, and it forms into a green gel. It provides immediate hydration, nutrition and micro-organisms such as probiotics to jump start the digestive system. I think this is just extra nutrition, but my chicks thrive on it, and ever since then ordering one packet to try, I have ordered more, and every batch of chicks, I get, I feed it to them.

All the best to you and the chickies.

Stupid Question ALERT! Is Grit and Oyster Shell one in the same? If so if I add it in with the feed doesn't it "water down" the amount of nutrition the new chicks recieve. Also the bags of Oyster shell I have seen locally seams quite large for a chick to swallow do I need to grind it smaller? How small is small enough?

Oyster shell is for laying hens. Chicks shouldn't be given it (at least that is what I've read) because it has calcium and can cause liver? damage (or maybe kidney?).

Grit is ground up granite (at least the chicken grit I got is), and it is waaay to big for the babies. I use my husband's sledge (small one) and pound the big grit between two sheets of newspaper (on cement) to get it to a better size for the chicks. I got some parakeet gravel, but it has calcium in it, and that is a no no for baby chicks. I put the grit out in a small dish and let them get it if they want it. They seem to know what it is for.

Sharol

Quote:

Oh yea, He's lost it. Yep nuts.... I was outside just now on the front porch with a hammer making, yes, you guesses it GRIT. Pounding small pebbles into even smaller pebbles to make grit. .....he wispers...... don't tell the wife I got the pebbles out of the cactus garden......

Thanks for the image. It will take a while to get that picture out of my head. (My DH thought I was crazy when he found me pounding the bigger grit, too.)

You really don't need grit if you are only feeding chick starter. Surely they aren't getting treats yet. Right?

Quote:

Ok, I just don't understand. I have one more dying and another that is refusing to stand on her right leg. Again they acted healthy just an hour ago. Kids have not touched them all day. They have plenty of water/food. Temp is fine. Clean pine shavings. All the others are lively. Already lost 4. This will be 5th and 6th. I just don't understand. Can they drink Gatorade til the feed store opens Monday?

Back
Top Bottom