Bethanyann2515

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
Mesa, AZ
This is my second time raising chickens. Last time was about 6 years ago. I recently got 5 New Hampshire reds.
The first time I raised chickens it was full summer time here in Mesa, AZ. 100+ degrees during the day. I raised them all outside. They did great!
This time I have them inside because it is still getting a little cold outside at night (around 55 degrees).
I would like to get them outside and I have a heater/brooder for their coop.
Looking for opinions. I believe they should be fine because we do not have really cold weather here, at least not now that spring has begun!
Also, they are about 2 weeks old right now, but very active and are quickly outgrowing their current container!
Any information is appreciated!

Hello, I'm here in AZ. also, and not so far from Mesa. I brood mine in the house until they are fully feathered before I put them out in the brooder. Be careful when you do because they are still small and the snakes are coming out now and they are hungry. I had chick's that were eaten a couple years ago.

By the way, what type of container do you currently have them in?
Thankfully, our backyard has brick walls cemented down and we have never had any snake or other larger predator in our backyard. We also have have screening above most of the yard and it remains shaded out of direct sunlight.

We currently have them in just a large plastic container with a brooder table. (of course with bedding, feed, and water)

Thankfully, our backyard has brick walls cemented down and we have never had any snake or other larger predator in our backyard. We also have have screening above most of the yard and it remains shaded out of direct sunlight.

We currently have them in just a large plastic container with a brooder table. (of course with bedding, feed, and water)

I brood mine in the house in a large plastic dog crate (one that has those wire bar's that big enough to run a board through so that the heat lamp can be hung on it inside. When I move them outside, they go into what I call my grow-out pen that is an extra large wire dog crate with 1/2 inch hardware cloth wire attached to it, so that my older member's of the flock can see them, but not peck them.

Why don't you come over to our AZ. state thread? You can get more idea's from some of the other AZ. member's there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/page-7589

I brood mine in the house in a large plastic dog crate (one that has those wire bar's that big enough to run a board through so that the heat lamp can be hung on it inside. When I move them outside, they go into what I call my grow-out pen that is an extra large wire dog crate with 1/2 inch hardware cloth wire attached to it, so that my older member's of the flock can see them, but not peck them.

Why don't you come over to our AZ. state thread? You can get more idea's from some of the other AZ. member's there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/page-7589
Perfect! I will definitely head on over! Thank you.

This is my second time raising chickens. Last time was about 6 years ago. I recently got 5 New Hampshire reds.
The first time I raised chickens it was full summer time here in Mesa, AZ. 100+ degrees during the day. I raised them all outside. They did great!
This time I have them inside because it is still getting a little cold outside at night (around 55 degrees).
I would like to get them outside and I have a heater/brooder for their coop.
Looking for opinions. I believe they should be fine because we do not have really cold weather here, at least not now that spring has begun!
Also, they are about 2 weeks old right now, but very active and are quickly outgrowing their current container!
Any information is appreciated!
I just moved a clutch outside this morning. They're three weeks old but I could have moved them out earlier. I just didn't need the indoor brooder space until today. I have them outside in a rabbit cage that stands about 3-4 feet off the ground with a heater-style brooder to give them heat. Usually works well for me (in Mesa) in all but the hottest of days.

D

Depending on outside temps and how feathered they are in Mesa - I have put them outside at nite first when it's typically 80-90 or more at nite (and take them inside when too hot during day) just to get them used to outside and the heat. Then gradually let them outside during the day longer and longer until they are used to it.

Opposite of most places where they bring them inside at nite or heat them at nite-- I have brought them inside during the hottest part of day and keep them outside at nite.

Ice blocks & misters, heavy shade & ventilation are key to survival no matter what age but especially chicks. Also electrolytes (chick 'gatorade') if needed along with plain cool water in the shade.

Back
Top Bottom