Chicks overheating

My chicks do that sometimes too. They're 2 months old right now. They kind of squat on the ground, let their wings droop, and have their beaks hanging open, right? I make sure each one gets a little water, and if its really hot I'll let the hose run near them, and let them get wet if they want, that sort of thing.

It's nice outside here today...but the past 3 days were in the 90's with high humity. I felt so bad for my girls I took them in the house to the tub where I poored cool water over them. Not Cold...but cool and nice to the touch. I made sure to get under the wings and their bottoms. I put them back outside and for the rest of the day there was no more panting or holding their wings out. It made a huge difference. Next time it gets that hot I will not hesitate to do it again. I think they really enjoyed too.

Our 16, 6wk old chicks spent 6hrs out in run today--93 degrees and high humidity---
Brought them in as got to hot and they were hiding under coop in shade. Half of them are panting, showing me they are to hot. Buff orpingtons, black austrolorps and golden comets are the ones panting.
Any suggestions to help?? Temp in garage is 87 now @ 950pm
(No they can't be in coop full time yet as its not fully finished yet, so unheated brooder they are & I filled waterer with chick electrolytes).

Back
Top Bottom