Chicks pecking each other

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by elliemay12, May 1, 2016.

1. elliemay12

elliemay12 Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2015
    Hi, anyone know why chicks peck each other they are 2 wks old

2. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    Chicks peck out of boredom or overcrowding. If the pecking draws blood on one, then all of the the other chicks will target the injured chick like bees to honey, sometimes pecking it to death. It's important to make sure they have plenty of space, food and water. If one does get bloody, put blu-kote on it ASAP so the others will leave it alone. You can get blu-kote at your local feed store or tractor supply. How big/what kind of brooder are the chicks in now?

3. elliemay12

elliemay12 Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2015
    We have 12 in the largest tote walmart carries we thought about separating them into another large tote 6 in each whats your recommendations...thank you

4. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    I have done the two-tote method as well, and it worked great for me. I just put the light in the middle of the two totes, but you may need a second light if that isn't warm enough. Be careful that the light doesn't melt the plastic! (yea, that happened to me, lol)

1 person likes this.
  5. elliemay12

elliemay12 Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2015
    Hey thanks alot so funny I just told my husband we can situate the light in between the two totes I appreciate your fast response I see your in Michigan as well

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicks and chickens also peck because they have no hands. They check things out by pecking , and soon will be pecking to determine pecking order. Who is the alpha chick(leader) and who are near the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by