Chicks pecking each other

Chicks peck out of boredom or overcrowding. If the pecking draws blood on one, then all of the the other chicks will target the injured chick like bees to honey, sometimes pecking it to death. It's important to make sure they have plenty of space, food and water. If one does get bloody, put blu-kote on it ASAP so the others will leave it alone. You can get blu-kote at your local feed store or tractor supply. How big/what kind of brooder are the chicks in now?

We have 12 in the largest tote walmart carries we thought about separating them into another large tote 6 in each whats your recommendations...thank you

I have done the two-tote method as well, and it worked great for me. I just put the light in the middle of the two totes, but you may need a second light if that isn't warm enough. Be careful that the light doesn't melt the plastic! (yea, that happened to me, lol)

Hey thanks alot so funny I just told my husband we can situate the light in between the two totes I appreciate your fast response I see your in Michigan as well

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Chicks and chickens also peck because they have no hands. They check things out by pecking , and soon will be pecking to determine pecking order. Who is the alpha chick(leader) and who are near the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom