Ducklings Pecking each other eye

Dogved

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2023
I hatched 3 ducklings they are only 2 days old but they are pecking at eyes and hurting each other it doesn’t look to bad but the lower eyelid is a little red on each duck if you look from above. I put a stuff animal in there brooder to peck at but they seem to keep doing it what do I do I don’t want them to hurt each other

Do they have enough space to run around? Plenty of food and water to keep them busy? They shouldn't keep it up for long. Maybe just try to hover and monitor them for a while. Usually little ones spend most of their time eating, drinking, and sleeping.

They have enough space to run around i always make sure they have water and food. I never heard of this im scared cause this is my first time with ducklings and its not one bullying the other 2 they all do it

I'm sorry - that sounds stressful I've brooded ducklings many times and occasionally had brief periods of bullying, and also had a duckling that loved pecking on the quills when feathers were growing - which was a problem - but not the eyes. Maybe you can post a picture of your setup. I'm guessing it's just something that they will quickly pass through. Do you have your brooder set to the right temp? Do you have duckling specific starter feed?

it’s a simple box brooder I made I also have a mini thermometer thing in the brooder light up area to know what the temperature is so I can always watch the temperature and it’s at 90F if your wondering what the temperature is

A3BF697B-C60C-45B6-8974-AAF83FD864AB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom