Chicks preferring to stay outside at night

Moriah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Springfield Colorado
My 22 10week old chicks (are they even still considered chicks?) had been very good about going into their coop at night, there are four 4' roosts inside the coop, three of which are nice and warmed by the two heat lamps. However for the last few nights some of them have preferred to stay up on the 6' high roosts out in the run. I let a few stay out the other night, no problems and night before last they all "went to bed". Last night there was 7 of them in the run, after DH and I placed them into the coop a huge fight broke out and most everyone was unhappy that things had been changed. Tonight, there are 15 of them in the run. It is supposed to get down to about 30. Our coop/run is pretty well predator proof and with the weather being what it has been lately, snakes are no longer an issue. They do all fit on the roosts with a bit of room to spare, in such a way that will keep them nice and warm. So I am not really sure on why the change in attitude.

My sister says they should be fine. I am going to leave the popdoor open so they can go in if they choose, I just think it might be more stressful considering that they didn't seem to be very happy being moved last night.

We have a heat lamp on some younger chicks that are in a cage in the run. The other girls fuss and fight while we try to get them on the roost until we unplug the light. As soon as the light is out they are all like zombies and will settle down. We close the top of the coop but leave the pop door open and turn the light back on. This has worked so far. As far as warmth I guess if new chicks can find warmth the older ones can also, at least i hope they can!!!
fl.gif
Don't know if this helps, just issues we have been dealing with.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Well, Im sure mine will be OK then, they are ameraucana's and are supposed to be cold hardy.

The "runt" of the litter who is half the size of the others is really good at tucking herself under the bigger ones, last night I couldn't find her then one of the Roo's stood up and there she was all nestled under him, she let him have it for moving too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom