Chicks Scratching Brooder too much?

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
Frustrated and not sure if I should be.

I have six 3 week old chicks. When it comes to eating their food, they have been reluctant or picky from the start.
I changed food brands and that seem to help for a while, but fermenting it or getting it wet seems to be the best thing. Now they are back to eating their food seemingly as a last resort? They are not eating as much as my last flock

I recently increased the size of their brooder box because they were fighting and running into each other a lot.

They exhibit normal Chicken behavior, however, will not stop scratching the bedding to the point that I can’t watch them without getting frustrated. It seems they are eating the bedding more than their food.

Is there a reason they would be scratching so excessively and seemingly out of desperation?

They have a dust bath that they use and a container of regular dry, feed, and wet feed along with their water.

I think my worry is that they act so much different than my first flock, which seemed to eat a lot more than this one, and we’re a lot more content.

Maybe they are bored? Chickens scratch by nature to look for food and grit in the dirt. Are they getting grit? Do they get outside time in some dirt or grass?
They do have a bowl of grit and recently I went ahead and just tossed it in the bottom of the brooder since they are scratching anyway.
They have only gone outside once due to the weather. They are 3 weeks so my understanding is they need about 80 degrees?

How many chicks and how big is your brooder? Pics would help
There are 6 of them at 3 weeks old.

The box is 3 1/2 ft by 2 feet with an extension of 2 fr by 2 ft. So 11 square feet.

I think my last flock’s box was a little bigger but not by much. They were great in it but these ladies are anxious to get out I guess.

Also not sure if it’s warm enough. 80 degrees in the box.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 9

The box is 3 1/2 ft by 2 feet with an extension of 2 fr by 2 ft. So 11 square feet.

I think my last flock’s box was a little bigger but not by much. They were great in it but these ladies are anxious to get out I guess.

80 degrees at 3 weeks is plenty warm enough. What are your outside temps? Maybe you could set something up outside and let them wear themselves out

80 degrees at 3 weeks is plenty warm enough. What are your outside temps? Maybe you could set something up outside and let them wear themselves out
Currently it’s 55 (8am) but later it will get to about 78.

What is too cold to go on a field trip?
My last flock didn’t go to the coop until 8 weeks but it was November. This group seems to needs to go out as soon as possible. Of course then they will be eating whatever is on the ground of the coop. Probably better than the bedding.

Evening temps are in the 50s.

I was told to wait until they are in the 60s but not sure they will put up with that notion 😆

Evening temps are in the 50s.

I was told to wait until they are in the 60s but not sure they will put up with that notion 😆
Man.. 60's is a heat wave for us, I mean a scorcher.. my chicks would never go outside if I was waiting for that..

They need a huddle box or something to warm up together.. but should otherwise be fine. lower ambient temps are okay.

Start with a few hours.

Is there a reason they would be scratching so excessively and seemingly out of desperation?
Their looking for bugs and doing what comes natural! 3 weeks is about when pecking order starts setting in and curiosity also.

Man.. 60's is a heat wave for us, I mean a scorcher.. my chicks would never go outside if I was waiting for that..

They need a huddle box or something to warm up together.. but should otherwise be fine. lower ambient temps are okay.

Start with a few hours.

Their looking for bugs and doing what comes natural! 3 weeks is about when pecking order starts setting in and curiosity also.
I would love for them to be in their coop right now. I have a brooder heating plate that is also a heater that I attach to the inside of the coop door. I used that for my previous flock however not until they were older due to the time of year.

They aren’t fully feathered yet. Maybe I can get them into the coop box in a week (the enclosed part) and into the run a day after that.

Currently it’s 55 (8am) but later it will get to about 78.

What is too cold to go on a field trip?

I've had 10 day olds running about on a "hot" day - 69F.

I've had 4 week olds fully off heat at mid 40s.

Chicks are hardier than people realize. I think they're bored and some time outside would do them a world of good, as long as they have access to both warm and cooler (shaded) areas and some place they can huddle away from drafts.

Back
Top Bottom