Chicks should be here soon, advice please

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
One of my bantam girls went broody while I was out of town for a week. She hid her nest under our coop and my DH didn't know where to look for her (took me about 5 minutes to find her when I got back.) Anyway, since she had been sitting on her eggs for almost a week I decided to let her go ahead and hatch them. They should be here soon.

I have 2 standard chickens, a hen and a roo, and 2 bantams, Millie (broody) and Daisy. The banties have always stuck together like glue and poor Daisy is the odd girl out these days since her sister is sitting on eggs. Questions... once Millie's babies are here and I move her and the chicks into my chicken tractor, should I put Daisy in with them? Would she help keep the chicks warm, or would Millie not be happy with her sister being in there? I'm still learning about chicken psychology.

I'd bet that Millie will not want Daisy around since broodies seem to become very different while they're in momma mode. You could always try it though & just watch them very closely. You never know, Millie may allow her to help. Is Millie a d'Uccle? If so, I know mine are the sweetest of all my chickens and maybe your Millie wld allow a 2nd foster mom. But
hu.gif
for certain.

Quote:
Yep, my bantams are Millie Fleur d'Uccles. They're crazy little things, but we love them anyway.
tongue.png

Both of mine have tried to hide their eggs ever since they started laying. Are d'Uccles notorious for broodiness? I'll see how Millie acts towards Daisy after the chicks are here. Right now when Millie makes her daily appearance, she doesn't seem to want poor little Daisy getting too close to her.

Ours are very sweet and quiet. That's funny, what do yours do for you to say they're "crazy"?...just hiding their eggs or what? They can be fairly broody, but, of course, not as broody as Silkies. If Millie is acting like that now, I'd say she will not want Daisy with her once the babies come.
sad.png

Oh, I say crazy in a loving way. They're just much faster than the standards when they run... and they run like crazy. We
love.gif
our banty girls very much. I'm really hoping Millie will let Daisy be a good aunt and help with the chicks. Poor little Daisy is so alone right now, my BA hen harasses her.
sad.png

I know... poor, sweet, little Daisy. Even my roo has started picking on and chasing her some. She just keeps her distance.
sad.png

Anyway, another question. This morning, around 9, when I went outside in the chicken run I found two banty eggs on the ground very close to where Millie has her nest hidden. Is it possibly that she has rejected and pushed those eggs out of her nest? Or is it possible that Daisy laid two eggs this morning, even though she has not been laying lately? This I know for sure -- neither of those eggs were there at dusk yesterday when I put the chickens to bed... so where did they come from?
idunno.gif

Anyway, I marked them with an X and put them in the nest box. There is no way I'm gonna crack them open -- if they're Millie's rejects I do not want to see what is inside!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm.png
I feel like I'm talking to myself, but oh well, I'll try asking one more question...

I haven't seen Millie off her nest at all today, which is unusual. Mystery eggs this morning and not getting off the nest during the day like usual... do broodies stay on the nest more the closer to hatching the eggs are?

Okay, I'll resort to begging...

HELP, I'VE NEVER BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE!
barnie.gif

Hiya Henmama;
I cant answer your questions about your breed of chickens, but my heavy breeds stay on their nest till I think they will starve to death.
But yes they will definately kick out the bad egg.
Good Luck:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom