Chicks terrified of me

Francis noyes

Hatching
May 20, 2020
I have 7 healthy chicks of all different breeds. Some are about a Week old and some are 4 days old. They all get along well and I don’t have any problems other than that they are terrified of me. Anytime I put my hand in the brooder to do whatever they run away and chirp very loudly.I don’t know if this is just normal behavior or if I’m doing something wrong that is making them scared of me. Any tips on making them more comfortable around me? I want them to grownup to be hens that run to me when they see me not cower in fear. Does anyone have any techniques or treats that makes them happy around you? Thanks!

hello @Francis noyes - welcome to BYC :frow

It is entirely normal behaviour; you are a potential predator. They will soon realize that you are the bringer of food and other good things :)

If you want to start training already, just make a 'chick,chick,chick' noise or something easily repeatable for you whenever you bring food. They will soon associate the two, and as time goes on and you start to introduce treats like mealworms, they will come running as soon as they hear the cue. (You will be mimicking what a broody hen and a roo do, btw.)

They are hardwired, as a prey animal, to avoid predators. As they get used to you, they will usually settle down. Chicks can remain skittish, but quite often settle down once they begin to lay. There are some breeds that tend to stay skittish, but generally if you interact with them, they will be less likely to run from you. We had some pullets that must have had a high flight response-they easily freaked out, way over the top, for things that didn’t bother the others to the same extent, but they were the exception.

They can run fast at that age too! They will mellow out. My batch right now is super skittish, I got them at Coastal. I think coming from an overcrowded feed store just increases their fear for a bit until they settle in.

Not sure how you have your brooder set up, but if it has an option for reaching in through side of brooder instead of the top, they'll be a little less scared of your hand that way. Reaching down from above is more of what a predator would do, so they react with more fear to that.

Thanks so much this is all so helpful!
Each will have their own personalities. They also go through stages. My sweet friendly chicks in the beginning are now my scaredy chickens. While my scaredy chicks are now my friendly ones. I always offer food on my hands and stroke them or try when they come to it. Earn their trust :)

Our babies aren't a week old yet but we've had success cutting down on the fear by talking to them for a couple seconds, dropping a hand in and letting them come check it out, and then gently putting it under them from the front for them to step up onto. We have a couple that still squawk about it, but the rest are doing so much better and don't freak out near as much when we pick them up now.

I have 7 healthy chicks of all different breeds. Some are about a Week old and some are 4 days old. They all get along well and I don’t have any problems other than that they are terrified of me. Anytime I put my hand in the brooder to do whatever they run away and chirp very loudly.I don’t know if this is just normal behavior or if I’m doing something wrong that is making them scared of me. Any tips on making them more comfortable around me? I want them to grownup to be hens that run to me when they see me not cower in fear. Does anyone have any techniques or treats that makes them happy around you? Thanks!
they are very tame birds ,like any pets ,they love you,just talk to them when you feed them or any time you have time , i even sing to my chicks

Attachments

• silki 1.jpg
    silki 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom