Chicks to big at hatch time

grannychicken54

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
OK
My last batch of chicks I incubated were huge at day 21 some did not make it they were fully dveloped but to big, I ended up helping some out after I saw that the first ones could not get out . Could this be the temp or humidity a few were normal size and hatched alright. Any suggestions on what I might do different this time the temp was 99.5 three thermomiters and humidity was 30 to 35 % the first 18 days 55 to 60 during lockdown I have some in the incubator now and would welcome some advice on what I am doing wrong these are shipped eggs. Thanks

My last batch of chicks I incubated were huge at day 21 some did not make it they were fully dveloped but to big, I ended up helping some out after I saw that the first ones could not get out . Could this be the temp or humidity a few were normal size and hatched alright. Any suggestions on what I might do different this time the temp was 99.5 three thermomiters and humidity was 30 to 35 % the first 18 days 55 to 60 during lockdown I have some in the incubator now and would welcome some advice on what I am doing wrong these are shipped eggs. Thanks
My first guess is too big is a humidity issue. Everyone will need a different humidity depending on your enviornment. If you are getting chicks too big to turn in the egg, try weighing your next hatch so they loose 35 ( I think) of the weight a day. DO a search on BYC to find the method. It is a good way of figuring out what issues you are having with incubation. I would also calibrate your thermometer and hydrometer to make sure they are giving you the right information.

Good luck!

My first guess is too big is a humidity issue. Everyone will need a different humidity depending on your enviornment. If you are getting chicks too big to turn in the egg, try weighing your next hatch so they loose 35 ( I think) of the weight a day. DO a search on BYC to find the method. It is a good way of figuring out what issues you are having with incubation. I would also calibrate your thermometer and hydrometer to make sure they are giving you the right information.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice I will look for for the way to weigh them on here I know there is a theard with that info

I see. I've never done hatching, but I was thinking that if they were crosses, and the rooster's breed was bigger than the hen, the hen would be laying a smaller egg that would not have enough room. But since that they are pure than that theory wouldn't be true. :)

I see. I've never done hatching, but I was thinking that if they were crosses, and the rooster's breed was bigger than the hen, the hen would be laying a smaller egg that would not have enough room. But since that they are pure than that theory wouldn't be true. :)
No the eggs were normal size not at all small a bit on the larger size

Back
Top Bottom