chicks to return to the hen house

darr68

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
I would like to know how long does it take for my baby chicks to get the idea of returning to the hen house???My son always sense a small child wanted chickens. About three years ago he built a chicken coop. then he lost his job, o there went the idea of chickens. I was able to see to it to get him some chickens. The first week we had them in a large box in the house, we really enjoyed watching them. the second week we put them in the coop. the third week we let them go out side they love being out there, but can''t get them to go into the coop on there own. we have to go out and gather them up and put them in. A cute note we have a pit bull and he loves the chicks. they jump up on him and he just looks at them. also I think he thinks that he's the father.If he's in the front yard and he hears one of them chirp to loud or long he will go flying back there to see if there o.k and then well stay with them until he thinks there o.k. Thanks for any info on my question.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your questions, but
welcome-byc.gif

Also.. we need pics of the birds and the pit bull! Around here we don't believe you actually HAVE chickens until we have seen pictures!
hu.gif

I will get the pic tomorrow, of chicks and dog. were going to try some thing tonight to get them to want to go into the coop, wish me luck. Darr68

You might try keeping them in the coop for a couple days so they know that is were they belong. usually they go into the coop by them selfs at dusk. Now that it is dusk by 7:30, they are in bed by 7:30 so I can go out and close the door.Maybe they are looking for their box?
big_smile.png

Someone's suggestion of leaving them in the coop a few days is a good one. I left mine in a week. They'll put themselves to bed at sundown, but if I want them go in sooner, my chickens know what the treat bowl looks like and my treat call. I call them, put the bowl in the coop, and in they go.

We left them in the coop for a week. but they still on't go in at night.I will try that treat thing tonight. they must go in at night, there are large hawk, owls. I couldn't get the birds or the dog to pose for me today, well try again tomorrow. here is on pic br. I hope this works I'm not to good at this picture thing, if someone could tell me how to post an image I will be more then willing to show off my babies.

Treats, treats, treats!! My birds did the same thing the first couple of times I let them out. I locked them in for about a week,then started letting them out about an hour or so before dusk. It just takes them a few days to figure it out. Try chopping up an apple or something and toss it in the coop. When I feed my girls some treats, I call them. Chick, chick, chicks, then give them some treats. So when they hear me calling them, they assume I have food. Now they are so used to being called, they come every time, treats or no treats. Just takes time and they'll figure it out.

I want to thank all you people you are so sweet to help me.My son an I are going to try the treat thing. I was able to finally up load my pic of the babies, but still don't know how to get on the forum page so you guys can see them.
roll.png

Last edited:
I tried the treat thing last night and it worked on a few of them. we then retrieved the rest of them and put the treat dish in the coop, so that they would get the idea of getting a treat when going into the coop on there own.I'm sure it will be better tonight. has any one been able to tell me how to get the pictures on the forum yet?

Great news! Keep doing the same thing every night, and they'll go in by themselves in no time.
As for the photos, I can't remember how to do it. It's been a while since I've posted pictures. But someone will be able to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom