Chicks too cold!

Chicky Crazy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
At night I put my four chicks in the shed with a 75 watt light. Here's a picture of the tub I keep them in.

And in the morning it's too cold in there. We don't have a 100 watt bulb. How do I keep them warm?

Last edited:
Try insulating the tub. Do you have something you can pile around the outside of the tub.
Checking to make sure the end product stays non-flammable with the 75 watt light. Do you have an old comforter which you could wrap around the outside bottom 1/2-3/4 of the tub? Another idea would be to make a cover for the tub with a hole in the center several inches wider than the width of the bottom of the reflector the light blub is in. Chicken wire would work. then cover tho chicken wire with metal foil making sure you have several inches between the side of the reflect and the metal foil. Goal is to hold the heat in ( insulating) and/or keep the heat from escaping ( ventilated cover. How old are the chicks?
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA

Last edited:
Can you just lower the lamp? I'd be worried about it getting too hot if it were insulated since it is a metal tub.
And, how old are the chicks and what does the temperature get down too? It would help us A LOT to know those things when people are trying to give advice :)

I don't understand how they can be too cold when it's 80* and they have a 75w bulb. I typically use a 45-60w buld about 6-8 inches from the floor and they stay in a loose little group under the light and are happy.
Are they cheeping and piling up on each other?

Back
Top Bottom