Chicks umbilical cord (thingy??) still attached what should I do?

Maddison

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Rural NSW Australia
I had 3 chicks that hatched, the very first one still had its cord (I don't know what to call it dont judge me) attached and the other two left theirs in the egg. I figuered it would dry up and drop off 2 days later its still there but shriveled! the other chicks peck at it and by the looks of it its still firmly attached to the chicks abdomen, should I leave it or what?

Leave it alone unless it is pulling on it's belly. It will dry up and fall off. You could trim it but not too close to the chick. It is like an umbilicus. It should fall off but you would not want to cause a wound or pull it.

We have one like that. Is it ok if there is a little blood?

If it's just a little blood it should be fine, it may be slightly more prone to infection if it's bleeding a little though so make sure to keep it clean. I use just a tiny bit of betadine to sterilize when I have a baby hatch that is bleeding a little from the naval, I gently dab away any excess betadine before placing it with other chicks since you don't want them ingesting any.

I personally don't hesitate to gently snip the cord about a half an inch to an inch from the naval if it's a little extra long or still stuck to the shell. I dip it in betadine if I snipped it when it was still wet. I haven't had any issues doing this thus far.

If it's just a little blood it should be fine, it may be slightly more prone to infection if it's bleeding a little though so make sure to keep it clean. I use just a tiny bit of betadine to sterilize when I have a baby hatch that is bleeding a little from the naval, I gently dab away any excess betadine before placing it with other chicks since you don't want them ingesting any.

I personally don't hesitate to gently snip the cord about a half an inch to an inch from the naval if it's a little extra long or still stuck to the shell. I dip it in betadine if I snipped it when it was still wet. I haven't had any issues doing this thus far.
Thank you! She has healed beautifully

Hi! I have a similar situation. The cord has now dried up and is around 2 cm from tummy. Can I put her in with the other chicks?

20230701_075422.jpg

Back
Top Bottom