Chicks upper respiratory illness oxytetracycline dosage?

Bdfarm

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
I have 2 batches of chicks with sneezing, wheezing symptoms. Came vaccinated and fed medicated feed. My best guess upper respiratory infection. Been cold and wet here. Got oxytetracycline calf scour boluses as can’t get any other antibiotics w/out vet visit. Read here to dose at 800 mg/gallon of water. Pills are 500 mg, so 1 1/2 ground up and dissolved in a gallon of water, no matter how many birds? That would be 750 mg total. I’m a little confused. Have Vet Rx too. Thx for any help!

How old are the chicks. Yes that is right, the chickens that drink normally should drink the right dosage. You can add 750 mg to 930 ml of water to make 800mg per gallon. You can treat for 7 days. You could get a little more into them by adding some medicated water to a little chicken feed in a small container. Watch for those who may be too sick to drink enough. Oxytetracycline can treat mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) but if it is infectious bronchitis or other viruses, it will have to run it’s course over several weeks. Here is a good link about common diseases including the respiratory diseases.

How old are the chicks. Yes that is right, the chickens that drink normally should drink the right dosage. You can add 750 mg to 930 ml of water to make 800mg per gallon. You can treat for 7 days. You could get a little more into them by adding some medicated water to a little chicken feed in a small container. Watch for those who may be too sick to drink enough. Oxytetracycline can treat mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) but if it is infectious bronchitis or other viruses, it will have to run it’s course over several weeks. Here is a good link about common diseases including the respiratory diseases.
Except for sneezing and bit of wheezing they seem fine, eating very well, drinking. Think maybe just a cold that needs to run it’s course? Am I maybe over reacting? I’m also a little confused by the 930 ml of water, that’s a really small amount of water. Do I then add it to make a gallon and give to them?

Except for sneezing and bit of wheezing they seem fine, eating very well, drinking. Think maybe just a cold that needs to run it’s course? Am I maybe over reacting? I’m also a little confused by the 930 ml of water, that’s a really small amount of water. Do I then add it to make a gallon and give to them?
Chicks are around 3 weeks.

Sorry, I meant to multiply that by 4 to make 4 liters. Add the 750 mg to 3720 ml. It actually sounds like they could have infectious bronchitis. It lasts about a month and the usual symptoms are sneezing and some congestion.

Sorry, I meant to multiply that by 4 to make 4 liters. Add the 750 mg to 3720 ml. It actually sounds like they could have infectious bronchitis. It lasts about a month and the usual symptoms are sneezing and some congestion.
Thanks so much for your help. I think I’ll give them the 7 days to be on the safe side and think maybe is the infectious bronchitis tho.

If you don’t have older chickens who could have passed this to them, I would be a little upset that someone sold you chicks who had been exposed to a respiratory disease. IB makes chickens carriers for 5 months up to a year, and MG can make them carriers for life. What were they vaccinated for? Something other than Mareks or coccidiosis?

If you don’t have older chickens who could have passed this to them, I would be a little upset that someone sold you chicks who had been exposed to a respiratory disease. IB makes chickens carriers for 5 months up to a year, and MG can make them carriers for life. What were they vaccinated for? Something other than Mareks or coccidiosis?
Older chickens are a long ways off in their coop. Vacs for Marek’s and coccidia. I think it may have been the weather. Extremely damp and tons of rain for a few weeks and they were in brooders in my greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom