Chicks wasting more than they eat!

I can’t speak for others, but when I read the thread, it looked like people were replying to the OP’s comment about possibly switching to layer feed.

To the OP - yeah, what the others said, chicks scratch and spill feed everywhere! I have on occasion not filled their feeder right away (not for very long!) so they have to ‘forage’ for the kicked-out food. Gives them something to do and they scratch anyway.
You’re reading comprehension is off. Nobody said switch 5 week old chick to layer feed.

I wonder if I could switch them over to layer pellets?
OP asked if they could switch to layer pellets. I’m just indicating that, to me, it looked like other people were replying to that rather than your comment to switch to pellets at the appropriate time. It looks like you edited your post for clarity.

I took a half gallon milk jug and cut a hole on two sides with a hole in the top for pouring food into and attached it to the corner of their brooder. This completely stopped the problem. It costs absolutely nothing to try it!

Edit to further explain: I put the holes about 4 or 5 inches up and only big enough for them to poke their heads into (about the size of a golf ball). This way they can eat but not scratch. I then cut off a triangle at the top opposite the handle so that I could pour food in with a yogurt cup. My chicks live in a Guinea pig cage so I just zip tied the handle to the bars in the corner. Do not use string or twist ties (I learned that after they almost ate one). It worked so well I made a second one for their water. Now I don't have to pick litter out multiple times a day :)
You are so much smarter than I am😆 I did something similar with an old plastic flour canister, but didn't think to zip tie it to the wall. I will do this next year and life will be so much easier without chicks knocking it over every time they launch off the top!

OP asked if they could switch to layer pellets. I’m just indicating that, to me, it looked like other people were replying to that rather than your comment to switch to pellets at the appropriate time. It looks like you edited your post for clarity.
I did. Peoples misunderstandings were driving me nuts.

I've got 7 light Sussex chickens, about 5 weeks old. I've tried two different types of feeders, but still most of the chick starter winds up on the floor as bedding. It seems that they only want to eat the larger crumbles. The feed that is more like corn meal doesn't get eaten.

I wonder if I could switch them over to layer pellets? I've never seen medicated chick starter pellets at Tractor Supply, only crumbles.

Of course, the 50lb bag of medicated crumbles was only around $11, so it's not a big deal if most is wasted. It's just really messy.
I just but a tray under the feeder and once a day clean the tray out .

Back
Top Bottom