Chicks water always dirty in brooder

Yes lol. Don't put he shavings in! Haha. Iam learning as I go. Do you tho have any other ideas for chicks broodys or Roos ? Coops or anything you would like to pass down to a newbie?
263a.png
my best tip, you're already doing! that's participate here, ask any and all questions and read everything on this site you can! Most any and every topic will have 2 (or more) different points of view, neither completely right or wrong most of the time,and as you read through you can decide which sounds best suited for you.

water nipples, empty coke bottle and a shampoo holder, some use a bicycle water bottle holder for one water bottle....... or a small bucket hung inside. I'll never use a fount type waterer again, this is just too easy
I was wondering why I don't see mor people using the nipples and a soda bottle. It seems like the brilliant thing to do. I plan on using chicken nipples for all my watering needs. Then again my chicks are still incubating. March 30th can't come soon enough!

For the warmer months we're going to stick with the gallon containers, in the winter, however, we now plan to use coke bottles with nipples as it's going to freeze at some point, no need to waste so much water, plus we can wrap/insulate them so they last a little longer, and we can have twice as many ready so the morning is just replacing 12oz bottles, not defrosting and replacing gallons...When it gets to -5, not much does any good, better to have easy and LIGHT replacements...Walking on slick, ice, slush and snow with gallons of water can be dangerous, we figure a knap sack sill suffice with the new plan...We'll see, next winter, and update ya'll!

I absolutely LOVE that way papchaz!!! Ty for showing that. Iam def going to get those soon! I have the same prob w my water dishes. Even tho I put them in bricks. Hang them up. They still find a way to fill it up with shavings or dirt they love to kick around. Do you have anymore nifty ideas?
They have them at tsc for about $5 I'm telling you this because I thought you had to order them online lol I was traipsing through tsc and there they were!

For the warmer months we're going to stick with the gallon containers, in the winter, however, we now plan to use coke bottles with nipples as it's going to freeze at some point, no need to waste so much water, plus we can wrap/insulate them so they last a little longer, and we can have twice as many ready so the morning is just replacing 12oz bottles, not defrosting and replacing gallons...When it gets to -5, not much does any good, better to have easy and LIGHT replacements...Walking on slick, ice, slush and snow with gallons of water can be dangerous, we figure a knap sack sill suffice with the new plan...We'll see, next winter, and update ya'll!

That's an intreging idea to have several smaller well insulated water bottles in the winter. I'm in Ohio so we do get a month of super cold but below freezing for a good part of the winter so I've been pondering the water issue. I'm so hesitent about electricity around flamable bedding in the coop so that might be a good alternative.

I don't see why Silkies and Polish couldn't use them. My Silkies have rabbit drinkers in their breeding coops (to help save some space). They use them without issue
smile.png

I use the same thing in my brooder for space. Love that it isn't so messy. Always have clean water. I usually switch to this when they are about 2 weeks old. I find after that, they just get messy trying out their wings! lol

Back
Top Bottom