Chicks water always dirty in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherMarieR, Mar 5, 2015.

1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    Is there any way to keep my chicks from constantly getting pine shavings in their water? I keep having to change their water out at least once every hour because it's so bad. When I wake up in the mornings they can't even get any water because they've kicked all the shavings into the waterer.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Raise the waterer up out of the shavings. Use a brick to set the waterer on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - raise it so that the lip is at chest height and then keep raising it as they grow. They only need to be able to reach their neck over to allow their beak to reach down into the water.

4. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    My chicks are in a cage where they can reach through the bars. I put food and water all along the edge so they can peck through but can't kick as much into it and can't poop or contaminate their feeders.

2 people like this.
  5. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    Ok, thank you! That's what I was thinking about doing. My Silkies are in another brooder, and they aren't making near as much of a mess. Then again, there's only 6 of them in there though.

6. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Currently I have mine on 4 pieces of short 2x4s and then 2 bricks to raise it to the correct height. I was having your same issue, but if you get it to the correct height it will help the problem, they will still get some pine shavings in it but not near as much as they were.

7. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I can handle a few shavings. I have a few small pieces of wood that I can put under it.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I like to hang my feeders and waterers from a chain in the brooder. They run under them, and get them swinging, but even that doesn't spill the water!

9. HeatherMarieR

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I put a block of wood under it, and it seems to be working well. Thanks for the ideas y'all!

10. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    water nipples, empty coke bottle and a shampoo holder, some use a bicycle water bottle holder for one water bottle....... or a small bucket hung inside. I'll never use a fount type waterer again, this is just too easy

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by