Chicks water always dirty in brooder

I can vouch for the poultry nipples. my chicks kicked the shavings all in the water before, not to mention pooed in it!! yuck!!! I was really sick of cleaning it all the time so I switched to the nipples. I will never go back!!! no more poo-ey water!

My DH put some chicken nipples in our brooder, but the chicks just make a huge wet mess underneath where they hang. Any suggestions for that? They hang vertically so the chicks have to reach up to drink out of them.

ETA: I have never seen them leak. It is just the chicks dripping water into the brooder instead of drinking it.

Last edited:
we found that even just raising it at least an inch over the bedding helps to keep the bedding out of the food or water....

I tried using a Dasani water bottle, but the water kept leaking out because the plastic was too thin. I actually ended up using the plastic quart jar that came with the chicks' original waterer. I just drilled a hole in the bottom, stuck the nipple in and "voila" no more leakage!

When my chicks where newborn I put the water (flat bowl with large pebbles to prevent drowning) and the food on an old towel. The surface of a towel is nicely rough or young chicks. The water stayed clean and spilled food was easy to find.

After a week I made these facilities outdoor.
* a small self made water tower on a slice of a tree,
* a drinking bottle for rabbits
* a hanging water tower on a string, 1 -1,5 inch above the ground.

The bottle for rabbits always stays clean.

A couple of thoughts come to mind. you might want to invest in the store bought containers that keep the stored water covered. I started with 5 individual gallon containers and have found the investment for a 7 gallon version keeps the birds (all 50 of them) happy.

the second thought was that you could raise the containers. I also saw a homemade waterier that used the nipple waterfeeders attached to a plastic bucket that hung above the birds.

there are nipples that you can get from Rural King Feed Store. Install in the bottom of a bucket and they will find the water...

Back
Top Bottom