Chicks water always dirty in brooder

The answer is height. I set my watering can up about 10" on garden pavers that are cut down so they are just the size of the can base, the birds cannot climb up but they can reach the water. Another way would be to hang the can like I do with the feeder. Good luck

You can attach a "s" hook to the top of a waterer with a clamp and hang it from a roof support in the coop with a metal chain, using the links to adjust the height. Works well except in the winter.

I just changed my 1-2 week old brooder chicks over to nipple waterers yesterday. They had the vertical pop-in nipples at my local feed store. They were behind the counter; I had to ask. I got some small Gatorade bottles, drilled a hole through the cap, and put the nipple on. One leaked so I squished some plumber's putty in there and that solved the leak. (I tried silicon caulking and that didn't work, fwiw.) But actually the leaking turned out to be a good thing because the chicks noticed it and caught on right away. I made two bottles for 5 chicks and that seems to be working out well. No more goopy mess in the waterer and it gives the chicks a "game" to play all day. Turned out well.

I just purchased some horizontal nipple feeders and I can't say enough good things about them!! Before I had them I was constantly cleaning out their water bowl. I first just had the bowl on the ground. Then tried raising it some, but they still got the water dirty. I finally had enough and bought the nipples! I set it up in the evening and in the morning when I let them out, they went right over to the bucket I put the nipples in and drank the water! They remind me of people when they hang around the water cooler at work!!!

Often times I think my chickens put stuff in their water on purpose to flavor the water. So many times I don't find dirt, but do find lettuce leaves, watermelon, and other greens I have given them to eat. I even found tree leaves, grass, and corn in there. I think they actually "cook" for themselves sometimes...LOL

I hang my water container on a chain so that is is elevated off the ground. It works well. I read somewhere that if you put a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar in the water, that it helps the chickens against certain kinds of diseases. Has anyone else heard of that. I do it, it doesn't seem to bother them. 1 Tablespoon for about a gallon of water, I only have 3 chickens. Anyone heard of that besides me? I wish I could remember where I heard about the vinegar. Thanks

I propped mine up on wood or bricks. I did enough of a "stage" so that they had to hop onto the brick/wood and could stand on the brick/wood while drinking. It helped tremendously. I also started using the chicken nipples but by that time mine were old enough to be out of the brooder. Nipples seem to be the easiest way to keep water clean.

Back
Top Bottom