Chicks with coarse dry fuzz--like a wiry dog's hair

Tumbleweed Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Benton City, WA
This is a new one for me--I've had 10 chicks hatch out yesterday and today, all fine and uneventful but the last 2. They came out wet and sticky--I'm pretty sure the humidity really spiked because so many hatched at once. Both of them had gummed up eyes. I rinsed both as well as I could and got them to their warm nest. They seem fine but what is with this? I've 3 more left to hatch. What in the world causes this dog hair look? Very coarse and wiry looking--not normal chick fuzz.

Are they all the same variety of chick? My chicken chicks, assorted bantams and Cornish X, all have "downy chick fuzz". My turkey poults have what to all intents and purposes is much more like hair than fuzz.

Did you towel dry your chicks after washing them? If so, just the toweling could have de-fluffed the down that was cleaned by washing.

Are they all the same variety of chick?  My chicken chicks, assorted bantams and Cornish X, all have "downy chick fuzz".  My turkey poults have what to all intents and purposes is much more like hair than fuzz.

Did you towel dry your chicks after washing them?  If so, just the toweling could have de-fluffed the down that was cleaned by washing.

They are Plymouth Rocks. The three that hatched first are normal. Chick fuzz. These 2 are gummy gluey and medsed up

I don't know what could have caused it. Maybe it's just the gummy gluey stuff causing the stiffness in the fuzz. If they're OK, otherwise, I'd still just let them be.

Back
Top Bottom