Chicks with poop on their butts

I had to deal with this with my first brood of chicks. I put some warm water in the sink and added some hydrogen peroxide. I then worked slowly with a cotton ball soaking an patting with the warm solution until it was gone. I also added a clod of dirt from the yard with a tuft of grass attached. I also layed two two by fours over a portion of the brooder box to make a shady area. I have read here that cleaning this way helps. I have also read that the clod of dirt provides some grit and entertainment, and that the pasty butt can be caused by too much heat. The two by four on top makes a cool shady spot.

This was a kind of "all of the above" approach, but at one point most of my small brood had pasty butt and after the first cleaning, it never returned.

WHEW! I thought I was missing something! We have 8 chicks, 4 leghorns and 4 black stars, all just 2 days old for us in our care. The leghorns are fairing quite well, but two of the black stars have the poop stuck to them. Before I left for work I played the big scary hand and pulled them out, warm washcloth and a gentle tug, they seemed ok. I will use what I have learned from you guys here when I get home and clean those butts!!!

Thanks to you all

Poopy chick butt is the reason I found this great place!! This is the first time I have every had backyard chickens.

The first group of babies have had no problems, but the next week when we got 10 more, all of their little butt fuzz was getting caked with dried poo. After reading through back theads, I found my answers.

I had to literally hold each of the chicks with her butt in warm water until the poo disolved enough for me to remove it witha warm wash cloth. One of the 7 afflicted babies had a red spot/sore, so I put some neosporin on it. I also used a qtip and applied olive oil to all their little behinds.Then under the lamp they went. I have only had to wash two repeats. Now everyone is 3 weeks older and doing great!!

we will dip them in water until the poop is soft and see how it goes. These chicks are from McMurray and don't know why I am seeing poop on most of them.

I hatched out a bunch of chicks before and pasty but has never been a problem. But when I buy chicks from feed store I see this more. I mean I don't freak out because I know how to help but still.

woot.gif
here is to poop removal! Thank you all at BYC, and thank you to a one cup measuring cup and some warm water! While the love of my life may never again use the measuring cup, or the towel...or perhaps the water...my baby girl is all set now.

We had a bonding moment, very much like changing that first diaper on your first child...and now, like my first child, my little chick will not talk to me!

Poop Butt gone for now, going to add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water in the morning, heard that it is good for my wee ones and solves the poop butt issue.

Thank you all again!

We had the same problem with 2 baby australorps last year. We would clean their vent with a warm wash rag and then put vaseline on there. They have done just fine and have laid many eggs. :)

Last edited:
woot.gif
here is to poop removal! Thank you all at BYC, and thank you to a one cup measuring cup and some warm water! While the love of my life may never again use the measuring cup, or the towel...or perhaps the water...my baby girl is all set now.

We had a bonding moment, very much like changing that first diaper on your first child...and now, like my first child, my little chick will not talk to me!

Poop Butt gone for now, going to add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water in the morning, heard that it is good for my wee ones and solves the poop butt issue.

Thank you all again!

Congrats on the poop removal!!

It is so funny how such an event can be so meaningful, lol. I cleaned 7 behinds and believe it or not, they all have different little personalities. Some were still and quiet, others fussy untill the warm water made them calm, some were kicking, one kept getting her wing in the way and one was chirping like I was murdering her. And all the time, I am talking to them like they are toddlers.

I agree . . .a bonding moment.

Oh, um yea, I threw out the rubbermaid dunking bowl myself. And the dishtowel too.

Last edited:
this is not a toddler thread so sorry ahead of time... but when my kids were little, even if they had a stinky diaper I just ignored the odor and did not comment, but would just change them. I think it made them easy to potty train. I had seen parents say "Oh this is terrible what a stinker!" and I think kids would get embarrassed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom