Chicks with wounds, what are they from and what do I do?

is putting that purple stuff on it good enough? Our do I need to do something else?

A red light heat bulb would be much better in this situation instead of a white light. But other poster is right, those red spots on their backs are just an invitation to the other chicks I was in a feed store once looking at their little chicks and one of them was getting it's little wing ate off by all the other chicks. I told the guy behind the counter, but he didn't seem the least concerned about it. :( You do need more space and maybe hang a little shiny bell or something in there to take their attention off the others. If they don't stop, you may need to separate them for a little while.

I feel so horrible! I don't want them hurting each other just because I didn't provide enough space. I will definitely figure something out real quick because they were all fine yesterday and now 3 have wounds so I'm afraid how many will have wounds tomorrow!

Do you mean turn the room lights off or the heat lamp? Our heat lamp does have a red bulb. The brooder box is in the kitchen.

I don't know anyone who has an appliance box I can have. I do have a cardboard box that's probably 4 by 4 but it's only an out a foot tall. Maybe I can tape up the sides so it can be taller and put something over the top.

If you have the red bulb, then yes, turn off the kitchen light. If you can't get a refrigerator box, get several large cardboard boxes, like paper towel or T.P. boxes and open them up flat and then tape the ends together to make you one large enclosure. You may have to find something suitable for a bottom other than your floor however. Maybe some shelf liner or something.

I had a few injured pecked chicks this year, I separated out the injured ones (botl separated, even from one another), applied gentian violet (purple stuff for wounds), and moved them into a bigger brooder with more things to do. Once the wounded ones were healed (about 3 days) I moved them back in with the rest, after another generous application of purple. After the pecking incident the overhead light stayed off unless I was attending to them, until they were moved outside to brood in the much larger coop with attached run at about 3 weeks. I also gave them lots of things to "do" in order to not get anymore injuries. I, like you, ended up with more chicks than anticipated and the brooder set up was too small. The overhead light being off all the time helped to calm them immensely, but it's not a long term solution. Getting them out with room to stretch their legs should be the top priority to end pecking problems :)

Last edited:
A special note about "white light". Today's cfl's, florescent lights flicker constantly at speeds we cannot see. Chickens can see this spectrum of blue/violet/uv light and all the flickering. To them it is like a disco ball and drives them crazy. Limit their exposure or use and old fashion light bulb.
smile.png

ETA: clarity

Last edited:
A special note about "white light". Today's cfl's, florescent lights flicker constantly at speeds we cannot see. Chickens can see this spectrum of blue/violet/uv light and all the flickering. To them it is like a disco ball and drives them crazy. Limit their exposure or use and old fashion light bulb. :)

ETA: clarity

That's interesting. Congress sure wasn't thinking about us backyard flock owners when they passed that bill. :rant

I stocked up accordingly.

That's interesting. Congress sure wasn't thinking about us backyard flock owners when they passed that bill.
rant.gif

I stocked up accordingly.

Yes, I suppose they don't really care about the few of us bird lovers who keep "live stock" in the house. We have to look out for ourselves I guess.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom