Chicks with wounds, what are they from and what do I do?

Renee572

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
see the black one right in the middle? With the red spot on its back... I have 2 more chicks with the exact wound. They are a couple days shy of 2 weeks old and have been absolutely fine until today. What could these wounds be from and what should I do to prevent further injury?

I had some purple colored ointment that is supposed to be put on to prevent pecking of the wound. I applied it to them but I just wonder if I should be doing something else for them. Why did this happen to them?

Looks like they got pecked by flock mates. The purple wound stuff is good, I would also give them something to do other than peck one another (a. Lump of sod is SUPER entertaining!), and make sure the brooder is of adequate size, and limit light exposure.

Good luck!

Brooder is a rubbermaid tote and we have 18 chicks. I really didn't think we'd get that many to hatch so we weren't prepared for that many. The space was adequate a week ago but they have grown so much. We are getting a bigger box tomorrow. Should I separate the 3 in the meantime or will they be fine in there?

You need to get the wounds disguised immediately! Chicks can and will peck each other to death in as short a period as overnight.
is putting that purple stuff on it good enough? Our do I need to do something else?

You need a bigger brooder. I know how it is, I had an unexpectedly good hatch my first time hatching (last spring) and got 15. My brooder was bigger than a tote and it was still too small - and you have more than I did. What you need is an appliance box. If you can get a fridge box and set it on its side and cut one side out to make that the top of your brooder - this way it's nice and roomy for the chicks to have some space.

Hopefully the box you're getting tomorrow is around that size, otherwise that might be a good size to try to get.

If you're using a white light, I'd switch to red. That can also help. Also use the purple ointment or get some bluekote, which is probably similar.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you mean turn the room lights off or the heat lamp? Our heat lamp does have a red bulb. The brooder box is in the kitchen.

I don't know anyone who has an appliance box I can have. I do have a cardboard box that's probably 4 by 4 but it's only an out a foot tall. Maybe I can tape up the sides so it can be taller and put something over the top.

Back
Top Bottom