Chicks won’t leave the heater?

The entire brooder should be that temp? The heat pad is warmed up perfectly fine
Absolutely totally not. That would put them in danger. The ideal brooder is one where you have one spot warm enough in the coolest of conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. My 1 meter x 2 meter brooder is in the coop. I put chicks in it straight from the incubator even if the outside temperature is below freezing. I keep one end toasty warm, the far end may have ice in it some mornings. They don't go over there those mornings, they stay where they are warm. I can have a 20 degree C change in temperature almost overnight. As long as they have a spot warm enough and a spot cool enough they manage that perfectly.

The room itself is a bit chilly as it’s in the basement. Around 19 Celsius. Should I think about moving them to a different room?
That's about 66 Fahrenheit. Since they have been under that heat plate for over ten hours without complaining they should be fine. The heat plate is obviously warm enough. I don't have any photos but broody hens can take care of their chicks when there is snow on the ground. I need to save one of those photos when another one shows up on this forum.

What you need to do is get some fruit and chop it up. Put it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Then enjoy it. Eat it yourself. Chill. Relax. Leave your chicks alone for a while. I understand you are very concerned but from what I've read I don't see any reason to be. It sounds like you are taking very good care of them.

Absolutely totally not. That would put them in danger. The ideal brooder is one where you have one spot warm enough in the coolest of conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. My 1 meter x 2 meter brooder is in the coop. I put chicks in it straight from the incubator even if the outside temperature is below freezing. I keep one end toasty warm, the far end may have ice in it some mornings. They don't go over there those mornings, they stay where they are warm. I can have a 20 degree C change in temperature almost overnight. As long as they have a spot warm enough and a spot cool enough they manage that perfectly.

That's about 66 Fahrenheit. Since they have been under that heat plate for over ten hours without complaining they should be fine. The heat plate is obviously warm enough. I don't have any photos but broody hens can take care of their chicks when there is snow on the ground. I need to save one of those photos when another one shows up on this forum.

What you need to do is get some fruit and chop it up. Put it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Then enjoy it. Eat it yourself. Chill. Relax. Leave your chicks alone for a while. I understand you are very concerned but from what I've read I don't see any reason to be. It sounds like you are taking very good care of them.
Thank you! I appreciate it a ton.

I had a similar setup (basement at 66 degrees/dogs upstairs) and my chicks are likely the same age as yours. Had a similar concern with them staying huddled under brooder, but they were day old babies and seemed to sleep a lot those first few days. Each day they grew more active. Hope you haven't had any issues since!

Back
Top Bottom