Chicks won't come out of the coop

KatFree

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Hi there:

I've got 8 chicks approx. 10 weeks old: 6 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Ginnies.

They've been going in and out of the coop until the last few days. We had a thunderstorm and I closed them up in the coop then reopened it after the storm, but now they only come out a couple of times during the day. When we first got them, they would come out and at least sit under the coop during the day.

We have taken their food and water and put it outside and both doors are wide open, but they still don't want to come out...any idea why?

Hi there:

I've got 8 chicks approx. 10 weeks old: 6 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Ginnies.

They've been going in and out of the coop until the last few days.  We had a thunderstorm and I closed them up in the coop then reopened it after the storm, but now they only come out a couple of times during the day.  When we first got them, they would come out and at least sit under the coop during the day.

We have taken their food and water and put it outside and both doors are wide open, but they still don't want to come out...any idea why?
is it hot where you live? Is there anything around that you think might be scaring them? My chicks did this and I had to make them come out and shut the coop. Also they are probably still adjusting.

Thanks. I was worried that there was something wrong. It has been hot here lately and I found my dog sniffing around them when I came home the other day, so that's probably it. I've fenced in the dog so she can't get near the chickens anymore.

Look around your coop and make sure nothing has been digging to get inside. You have to watch for predators that love to eat chickens, especially raccoons, dogs, foxes, and possums. I had my neighbors dogs come over and try to rip my rooster apart. Luckily he was a tough bird and I was able to mend him but it left him with emotional scars. They shouldn't be afraid to come outside. They love to scratch and eat and are definitely motivated by that.

Back
Top Bottom