Chicks!!!

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
Put eggs under a chicken... look what we found this am!!!!
love.gif
- I wonder if she's worried about why her babies look so funny!!!
lau.gif

she's still sitting on one more good egg I think, hoping anyways.
two are looking completely bs, one looks half ib. yay!!!!!
wee.gif

Help! I have been hand feeding and watering my broody chicken who is sitting on 6 peahen eggs that are due to hatch next weekend. Today I noticed a rotton smell under her that was not there yesterday...i carefully picked up each egg one at a time to see if i could easily identify the culprit but i couldn't tell either by sight or smell...yesterday she did take a break for awhile to dust bathe and stretch her legs...do you think she could have been off the nest for too long...and if so would the eggs rot that fast? She couldn't have been off the nest for more than 3 hours. Or was this egg domed some time ago and is just now smelling? I've never candled eggs before...how do i do this and will it tell me if the peachicks are still alive? We have come so far i would hate for it to end this way...please help!
1f622.png

During hot weather hens can get off eggs for a few hours, or so I've heard.
Sometimes hens can develop a bad smell because they are sitting in one place, sometimes on a little bit of droppings, for hours and hours. I wouldn't give up on them yet!

Best of luck!
smile.png

During hot weather hens can get off eggs for a few hours, or so I've heard.
Sometimes hens can develop a bad smell because they are sitting in one place, sometimes on a little bit of droppings, for hours and hours. I wouldn't give up on them yet!

Best of luck! :)

The smell is really rotton and not poopy which is what has me worried....while i examined the eggs i also examined the nest and it was clean, as well as her underside was clean...I'm hoping for the best but I'm going to take a shot at candeling them tonight and see what i can see...she has been sitting for 16 days now...can anyone tell me what i should be seeing in peahen eggs at this stage?

Back
Top Bottom