Chicks’ ear color

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I haven’t noticed this on any of my previous batches of chicks, but this is my first time with Lavender Orpingtons in particular, so I was wondering if it’s a breed thing, or a gender thing? Their ears are RED! At first I thought one of them had cut itself on the head and it was a wound, but when I looked closer, I saw that it was just a very red ear. That was a week or two ago. Now they are 4 weeks old and a whole bunch of them have very red ears. The ones with the reddest ears also have very red wattles and I’m guessing they are boys. The combs are harder to decipher, because some of them are developing a slate color on their combs to match their feet, but judging by the bright wattle color, I’d say they’re boys. It’s just interesting because my other chicken varieties didn’t have such bright red ears as chicks. Is this specific to the lavender variety? Is it a boy thing? My guess is any color anywhere at this age probably means they’re male, right?

Here’s one of them at 4 weeks old:
3CED8315-C23C-417A-9105-22D8A4B257FB.jpeg

3 weeks old and already so obvious:
3D5C7350-C3C8-45B1-A75A-E043B3FD6227.jpeg

Here are two that vary in their comb color - one has more slate in it than the other - but both have red wattles and ears so I’m guessing boys:
76885ADF-2091-4C41-ACEE-438405BD954B.jpeg

So what's up with those ears?

I don't have much experience with ear coloring, but can confirm that it looks like you have some boys around.

1655908874358.png

This one is making a pretty good case for being a boy, as are both of ones in the third picture.

I don't have much experience with ear coloring, but can confirm that it looks like you have some boys around.

View attachment 3158590
This one is making a pretty good case for being a boy, as are both of ones in the third picture.
Oh it's a total sausage fest in there. I'm just stumped by the ear color, and why none of my other boys (of other breeds or colors) have had such bright red ears. At this point I should probably assume the ones with the red ears are boys :(

I have two 4 week old lavender orps, one of which is a cockerel, and they don't have red ears. Where did you get yours?

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_014355314.jpg
    PXL_20220618_014355314.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 8
Mine are just hatchery birds, from Meyer. Maybe the red ears are a sign of "better quality" chicks?
Who knows... I'll ask the breeder, just because I'm curious. I've had "better quality" English Orpingtons before, from a different breeder, of several different colors (though none lavender) and they didn't have red ears either. I'll see who else weighs in, now I'm really curious.

@ColtHandorf what say you about these babes and their red ears? They're frickin beautiful regardless @K0k0shka
Of course! How did I not think to tag him? :he :lol:

I just spoke with the breeder, and she says none of hers have had such red ears and she says it's not normal :( Now the question is, what's going on and is it a problem.......

@ColtHandorf what say you about these babes and their red ears? They're frickin beautiful regardless @K0k0shka
My Lavender Orpingtons don't get any red for months usually. They are the darkest-faced and combed. It's usually right at six months before the pullets get any color. I don't think I've ever noticed their ears.
Of course! How did I not think to tag him? :he :lol:
It's okay, I'm here now. lol
I just spoke with the breeder, and she says none of hers have had such red ears and she says it's not normal :( Now the question is, what's going on and is it a problem.......
Is it really hot where you are?

@Faraday40 any thoughts from you? You've worked with Lavender more than me.

Back
Top Bottom