Chicky poo question... on feathering.

CSolis

Crossing the Road
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
I have 5 chicks nearing 2 weeks of age.. My first hatch ever.. 4 of them have wing feathers and the beginnings of tail, and the 5th is just now getting wing feathers although one of the largest. Has anyone had experience with pullets getting wing feathers before cockerels? Thought I read that somewhere or another.

Often cockerels are slow to feather. But you can't "Feather sex" them unless the cross was Slow feathering x Fast feathering.
I'm not sure of breeds that are slow feathering vs fast feathering.. I'm having fun with them in spite of them only being 2 weeks old. No way to sex them at the moment since they are BA/SH x Silkie (mother) and 3 are x BR and 2 are x BSL. All are black, with black legs and skin, some have 1 bar on the wings, some have little white poofy spots.. Just working on upsizing the 4 hens I have in size.

I'm not sure of breeds that are slow feathering vs fast feathering.. I'm having fun with them in spite of them only being 2 weeks old. No way to sex them at the moment since they are BA/SH x Silkie (mother) and 3 are x BR and 2 are x BSL. All are black, with black legs and skin, some have 1 bar on the wings, some have little white poofy spots.. Just working on upsizing the 4 hens I have in size.
All look barred. What is 'SH"? Spangled Hamburg?

Wait, I'm confused. Are some BA/SH x BR/BSL., or Silkie x BR/BSL?
All the hens are Svort Hona/Black Astralorp x Black Silkie. I have two in with my Black Sex Link cockerel, and two in with my Barred Rock Cockerel.. I started with 3 eggs from each pen, 5 hatched.

Back
Top Bottom