chickykens

chickenlover432

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Proud Aussie
Hey guys, I was visiting a friend and I was looking at her chickens. Most of them weren't tamed and my friend had to grab the legs and put her hand on her belly to pick her up. Anyway, I noticed that one of her girls had one pupil in her eye that was fairly large and the other was tiny. I knew something was wrong with her but my friend said not to worry about it. But to be honest I can't stop worrying about it and would like to know what's wrong with her. she looked perfectly healthy with other parts of her body, but I would like to know if this is normal?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
hugs.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
highfive.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif
yesss.gif

frow.gif
I'm guessing previous head trauma or viral/bacterial infection involving the optic nerve. Just a guess though. If the chicken is eating and doing well, then let her be.

images

Theoldchick X2 Could be lots of reasons why this is. As long as the bird is acting normal, bright red comb, eating, drinking and the poop looks good, then there is no need to do anything about it. But good call!! You take notice, and this will help you take good care of your own babies.

A word of caution....ALWAYS wash your hands, change your shoes and clothes after visiting someone elses poultry. You never know what you might be bringing home that can endanger your flock.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

phew, ok I wasn't expecting that! Well my friend has a silly old dog who's always trying to steal the chickens and put them to bed in her doghouse. Maybe that's got something to do with it but thanks guys. And yes, she is eating and drinking so that's definitely a good sign. But she isn't tamed and she goes crazy and bumps into things so maybe it could be that.....

Also, she doesn't seem to be blind or anything but does it by any chance affect her eyesight?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. From your description it appears that your friend has a hen who is doing fine in spite of some ocular problem that is far from life threatening.

Yeah, but the dog is a big softy so she won't hurt the chicken. Anyway, other than the eyes, she looks like a perfectly healthy girl so yeah, it's just up to the dog not to do her any more damage.

Back
Top Bottom