Children and chickens

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Chardon Ohio
I read that children under 5yrs old should not touch poultry! I just ordered 15 chicks and was looking forward to my 2 yr old grandaughter enjoying them as well. So is this true and why?

Your children will be fine. My 4 year old son handles them DAILY all day pretty much. Just make sure they wash their hands when done handling them, chickens naturally carry salmonella. Let your kiddos build up some immunities! Let them have fun with the new babies coming! Just make sure you teach proper handling so the chicks do not get hurt!

We've had chickens for my son's whole life and he's never gotten sick. If he's out and goes to the nest boxes looking for eggs he usually remembers to wash his hands. Usually. He's six now and we haven't had a problem.
smile.png

Some chicks carry salmonella and it is carried in their feces.

Here is some information from the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/easter_chicks.htm

Make sure she keeps her hands out of and away from her mouth. No chick kissing. Wash her hands thoroughly with warm soapy water and/or a hand sanitizer.

It will be good for her to be able to learn how to hold them and so forth.

Here is some good info on safety tips for kids...

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/salmonellachick.html

Good luck and enjoy your chicks. Hope that info helps.

Yea I just got a brochure about chicks from TSC and they say no "manure" contact with skin, wash hands after touching anything in the cage, do not nuzzle or kiss your chick, duckling, turkey, etc., supervise children, keep poultry outside!
Thats great way not to get salomonella, but it seems a little over the top.

Don't forget to wah your hands BEFORE handling the chicks too. You don't want to give them any of your germs either.

Last edited:
Dont worry i have a two year old too. She played with turtles and chicks and she is doing just fine.If a childs immune system isnt compromised by a pre exsisting condition there shouldnt be a proplem.

My girls 2 and 4, absolutely love our chickens. Also, they are quite a valuable bargaining chip for good behavior! It is a good time to start telling them about how mean boys are too.haha

We just make sure to keep our hands away from our mouthes and use good handwashing.

Brian

I have 7 kids and I am trying to teach them all as I learn about the chickens. I am am always telling them to wash hands afterward, I never thought about washing them before. I wash my hands and use hand santizer since I got these chickens a couple of weeks ago my knuckles are cracked an bleeding. It sucks but with this big family I am always disenfecting the house and whatnot.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom