Children with Corn allergies and my chickens' eggs??

kimslack

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Western NY
I've searched around on this subject and still a bit confused. One of my egg customers is a family and I just found out their kids are allergic to corn. I started to google this and found out alot of kids these days are allergic to corn b/c there is so much of it in our food system. They haven't had a reaction to the eggs I've sold to the family and I don't give the chickens much cracked corn. I've been giving them a little more cracked corn lately b/c its winter and mixing it with some cut up kale and apples and potato peels and I put it in with their crumble that I get from Agway. (Of course they like the corn and fresh produce much better but they still eat the crumble).

But my question is could I eliminate corn all together? Is it necessary in their diet at all? The Agway product has a read-out on its crumble and it doesn't list the actual products that go into the crumble....only that its grain byproducts.

I haven't given my layers corn in a long time, and they are fine. Someone here will know more about it, but I don't think it is a must at all. When I fed it, it was just as a snack.

You could go corn free. You would have to find a feed based around sorgum(milo). Corn based feeds have 40 to 50% corn in them.
I see you are in W NY. There is a feed mill in Arcade that makes wholesale feed. I do not know if they sell to the public. They might be able to make a feed up for you. I live in Orleans county.

I'm sure you could go corn-less in your chicken feed. The question is, however, if the children have not had a problem with eating eggs, why do you want to change what you are doing? Chickens eating corn do not translate into the corn protein being put into the eggs. The chickens digest the protein, starch etc and convert it into usable proteins etc for their use including egg production. I know of no studies that show feeding corn fed chickens will worsen corn allergies in allergic people. Most of these food allergies are gut mediated, meaning the offending protein unique to their allergy triggers a response based on it's presentation to the stomach/intestinal system. If the kids develop egg allergies it will not be because the chickens were fed corn. It will be because they developed an allergy to that particular egg protein which will be present whether the hens were fed corn or not. I hope this makes sense.

David

Quote:
What are you using???

Edit to be more clear. My 1/2 ton feed order of 18% layer feed is 750 lbs ground corn, 200 pounds soy based protein, and 50 lbs oyster shells.

Given what I feed my flock, the alarmists are scared. Corn is bad, soy is bad, and oysters contain lead.... What to do?
hmm.png

Last edited:
If the kids haven't had a problem with your eggs I wouldn't worry about it. Let them enjoy the eggs that they can eat.

About 20 years ago I developed an allergic reaction to eggs and chicken. I fould that I could not eat eggs from the grocers, but. When I visited my sister, she was cooking up some eggs and out of habit I ate one for breakfast. No reaction. But her eggs were from a farmer and the chickens free ranged with some scratch to call them in in the evening. So, I learned that I was not really allergic to eggs. About 5 years later I could eat any eggs and chicken again. Then 7 years later I have an even worse allergy to chicken. I am also now allergic to Wheat. So I raise my own chickens and eat their eggs. I think my biggest problem is with how chicken is processed and antibacteriaed. I feed my chickens regular mash or pellets. But I mix my own scratch without wheat and they probably eat 50% Hen Food and 50% scratch. I don't have a problem eating my eggs or chickens.

For all of their lives, my other sister could only eat egg whites and my brother can only eat egg yolks and for most of his life RAW CORN, not cooked corn. My problem did't show up till I was 40ish.

From what David said, I take it that I don't need to worry about wheat in their food or scratch. HUMMMM. I have tried natural and range chicken, but my hands start burning before I can even get it cooked, so I am afraid to eat it. Maybe my problem is the brining solution they are soaked in.

I've never given mine corn beyond what's in their poultry feed and I don't use scratch with corn. They don't need it. Corn isn't even that useful. It's just cheap and common. If you need something with extra kcals and fat in the winter use sunflower seeds. Both herbivores and omnivores can digest black oil sunflower seeds well. They are a little more expensive though. If you just want an inexpensive treat for them get any grain mix or even straight oats. Cutting all corn though could be difficult unless your area has a lot of options for poultry feed or you know a place that will custom blend, have a good recipe to custom blend without corn, and want to buy (can store) that much feed at once. Personally I don't think you actually need to go that far even though if I see corn on the ingredients label of any other animal feed I pass it up for another brand. I don't see the amount of corn in poultry feed doing chickens or the humans eating them and their eggs any harm.

I do understand the difficulties of corn allergies even though I don't have that exact problem. I import several dried food products and powders for mixing beverages because everything in the US is full of high fructose corn syrup or fake sugars. Just plain cane sugar is far healthier and high fructose corn syrup is a contributor to some very severe digestive tract problems if you have any trouble digesting sugars. I had lactose intolerance and then because of a bacterial infection and what I was eating developed fructose malabsorption so aside from the varieties of bottled water brands I can't even drink 90% of the stuff in the US anymore. We are way too reliant on corn. I love sweet corn but everything in moderation especially something like that.

A lot of people who have dogs, cats, or other carnivorous pets with a sensitive to chicken or just overall allergies/intolerances have found they can't feed store bought chicken or sometimes eggs but the animals tolerate most free range chicken without symptoms. Even if the chickens have been fed a typical poultry feed and scratch as part of their diet.

Corn is just cheap filler. It isn't necessary in a chickens diet. My pastors daughter is allergic to corn AND eggs, but we are doing an elimination diet on her to see if she can tolerate other eggs like quail eggs. Taking it very slow because we aren't sure if it is the eggs themselves or all the corn products used to get the production of the egg. I'll let you know how it turns out
smile.png

Thank you everybody for your responses. I'm going to the the mother and see what she says. I'll probably continue to give them a little cracked corn until some green grass starts growing. They just love a little of it and it distracts the rooster while I'm cleaning up and changing water. I'll show her the responses. Thanks again. Kim

Back
Top Bottom